1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 2013, have you killed your MLB page yet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 26, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There have been plenty of unfortunate developments in newspaper production over the last decade-plus, but I will not shed a tear over the death of agate.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

" The Sunday Averages"

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yep, no reason to run agate if it's going to limit your local copy.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If we're ever down to two or three pages, I could see that.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You need to get those lazy writers of yours to write more.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This year's addition? My head really is going to explode

Agate is online. Don't waste your precious print space. I love sports box scores. Read a ton of them. Can't remember last time I read one in a paper. We do it because we have always done it hasn't worked too well in this industry

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Feel the same way -- after years of evolution. Evolve with the times and use your space wisely.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I railed about this quite a bit for years.

In a perfect world, everyone could run all the agate --- and stories, and photos --- they wished. But when the reality is a shrinking newshole, it's tough to justify devoting an entire page (in a four-page section) to one sport every single day for SIX MONTHS. Especially without a franchise within hundreds of miles.

I can swallow it for the NFL as long as they play most of the games on Sunday and there isn't a ton of other stuff dying to get in the Monday edition.

But every single day for SIX MONTHS!?!?! I can do it in June, July and August, when the schools are out and there isn't a ton of other stuff going on. But April? When I have the NBA, NHL, tons of preps and college events to jam in? Or September? When I've got to deal with the space demands of college and high school football? Since we couldn't really afford the extra page at those times of the year and it just seemed terribly inconsistent to do it some days and not others, I was in favor of nixing it altogether.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always liked keeping a copy of the Sunday sports page in the bathroom the entire week for all the cumulative stats, and then I would replace the section with next Sunday section a week later.

I take the Ipad in there, but it's just not the same. Not for the stats of all the players.

That's also why I like to see full standings in the Sunday paper. Many people only buy the Sunday paper, so it should sum up the week's events. At least that's my two cents.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

the sunday paper i used to get also used to have every guy from the state who played in the minors and how they were doing.
    god, i loved that page ... but then again, the section used to be like 24 pages or so.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or the "local kids in college" thing some papers do. I like that one as well.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We used to use that in Richmond, there was some service that provided it and it was fun. But never complete. They'd always miss a couple of guys. From the state? Played college ball in the state? Do independent leagues count?

NFL boxes are a bit of a different deal and I can see an argument to run them over other boxes. We run the Skins box on Mondays but all others go online.

I used to do stats for our fantasy league off USA Today's weekly page. Back in 1984 or so. Now there are services that do them for you up to the second. World has really changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted