1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 2011 right? Black girl not allowed to be valedictorian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

This is a link to the story I cited above.....the one I skimmed before I saw it referenced in this thread.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/black-student-sues-over-valedictorian-flap

The lawsuit, first reported on Monday by Courthouse News Service, says Wimberly’s mother, Molly Bratton, overheard other school staff talking in the copy room on May 10 that Wimberly’s status as valedictorian might cause a “big mess.” (Wimberly had a baby during her junior year, according to court documents.)

So it's speculation on MSNBC's part that the "big mess" comment pertains to the baby issue.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The valedictorian of my high school class had a kid, and that was 20 years ago and in the Deep South (Mississippi).

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I remember the co-salutatorian of my graduating class getting some boos and jeers because she didn't take one single college-bound (as it was called back then) course.

She didn't care-she married a guy at least twice her age three weeks later and fell off the face of the earth.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They also vote on which football team scored the most points.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

only 1 kid?

Draft saved Draft deleted