1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 2011 right? Black girl not allowed to be valedictorian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

My impression from skimming a different version of the story elsewhere was that the mess would be caused by the fact that she'd had a baby in her junior year. Or at least that's how the "mess" comment was being explained.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

She's a teen mom and still had the highest GPA? All the more reason to make her valedictorian. That's pretty incredible.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Awful, if true. The cable shouters will have a ball with this.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True. It paints the issue differently, but it is still wrong.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We can't seem to be "glamorizing" teen motherhood, can we? What's next putting them on magazine covers? Giving them reality shows?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, schools are going to have a different standard from television networks. That said, this was still unfair. I do think the thread title isn't quite right. Doesn't seem like this is a race issue as much as it is an issue with her being a teen mother.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see it mentioned that she had a baby. I do not see that ever being cited as a reason for this decision. Can someone post a link?

This CNN blog has the most complete story I see.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/26/valedictorian-sues-school-was-she-snubbed-because-of-race/

There are two points here that obviously affect the perception dramatically. One, the lawsuit says students were told as a group that the AP classes were very intense and challenging and they should stay away unless they're ready for it, but then white students were pulled aside in the halls by the teachers and invited to join the classes because they weren't really that difficult. I could very much see that happening, and it would be interesting if the plaintiff could produce some witnesses to say so in depositions or in court.

Two, there's some language in the student handbook that although co-valedictorians will only be named if there GPAs are exactly equal, students also will not be penalized in class rank for taking more difficult classes. So if the white girl was taking harder classes and there was one instance that accounted for the lower GPA (the harder class yielded a "B" and the easier one an "A" and there was no difference for honors points, as an example), there would be some gray area.

Also worth noting: The girl who's suing was not overrided as valedictorian. She is co-valedictorian. So in that light it seems to be more about making sure the other girl isn't recognized than it is about making sure she is.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Only white single teen Moms are special
    [​IMG]
    fair and balanced

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know I could see a problem if teen mom withdrew for a semester and took classes online or was enrolled in a continuation high school - but other than that...

10. How would you vote on who had the highest grade point average?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Courthouse News Service?

And just what is (AR) in the dateline?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gould is a lot closer than 90 minutes from McGehee, unless you're riding a tractor. They're basically on opposite ends of the same county.

Draft saved Draft deleted