1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 17 majors, for crying out loud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Jun 16, 2008.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This is the correct answer, and I believe it's the first time i've agreed with hondo, even though I don't record my disagreement with him on political threads.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The U.S. Amateur counts as a major once you've won a professional major.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

WTF does that mean?

4. You're a professional amateurish major winner?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

IT'S THE FIFTH MAJOR!!! :D

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Not only is it correct, it's the only answer.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

One note during Monday's U.S. Open playoff coverage -- after Tiger had won -- was that the last four majors won by Nicklaus comprised a grand slam as he won each of the four once, ending with his Masters win in 1986.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of course, by winning the Open, Tiger tied Jack by completing the career Grand Slam three times.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've had Tour officials and players tell me you can only count a U.S. Amateur as a major if you've backed it up by winning a pro major. That's WTF it means. Of course, you probably know more than those guys.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if you win the U.S. Amateur then win the U.S. Open or Masters while you're still an amateur? Do any of them count?

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

All of 'em count, no matter what else you do or don't win as an amateur or a pro, if you want 'em to count. When Nicklaus won the 1986 Masters, it was his 20th major, written as such. Sorry, but you don't lose majors. Tiger's three back with more than half a career, if the knee holds, to go.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That's a terribly stupid standard, I must say, even within the whacko culture of the PGA Tour.

So Justin Leonard gets to count his US-Am as a major but Billy Mayfair can't? That doesn't seem quite fair to me. Mayfair's got several wins under his belt, hasn't won a major but had a better overall career than a few players who have.

Draft saved Draft deleted