1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Italicizing newspaper names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Are you supposed to Italicize newspaper names in your resume and cover letter?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think it depends where you apply.

If you're applying for a journalism gig, I think you ought to. If not, it may not matter so much.

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I'm talking about applying for a journalism gig.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In your resume, it doesn't matter -- as long as you are consistent on how you set them apart, if you do at all. Bold it, all caps...

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, for a resume, I agree with slappy. One way, every time, is good enough.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're doing it on a computer, using word processing software like MS Word, why would you consider doing anything else other than italicizing the names?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because it's all a matter of style.

Some styles use italics. Some use quotes. Some make no change at all.

And deciding to make no change at all relieves you from worrying about all the other things you may or may not need to italicize (books, movies, plays, boat names, etc.).

The name of the newspaper is The New York Times. It's only The New York Times if you prefer it that way.

9. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I have been italicizing the newspaper names in my resume/cover letter, but I've talked to people who don't. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing it the right way.

Draft saved Draft deleted