1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It would be insane if every team played like this....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

... but thank god SOMEONE does.

http://grantland.com/features/nba-dleague-rgv-vipers-houston-rockets-future-of-basketball/

Could it work in the NBA? Probably not ... unless you had advantages in depth and athleticism which would mean you would win using most other systems as well.

But thank god SOMEBODY is doing something different than just run the same sludgeball grind-the-clock bullshit everyone else runs. There isn't only one "right way to play."

Special note: Krzyzewski, take notes for 2016. (Auriemma, you too.) Wanna figure out how LBJ, Durant and Melo can all average 20 ppg and you can have nine guys averaging in double figures? Here's how.

You can play grind-it-out sludgeball and win most of your games 85-67, and be vulnerable to shocking upset losses on the nights the refs decide to fuck you, or you can win your games 155-103 and never care a lick about what the refs are doing.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dammit, I thought this was going to be the best update ever about second-grade girls basketball.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, it would be insane if every team played like them, too.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I just finished Slick Leonard's book (heavy reading, to be sure), and it was his contention that ABA scores were so high not because defense was lousy, but because everyone was playing at such a fast pace. So what Houston is doing is a little back to the future. Actually, you can't play this style without depth and an active defense, or else you're going to be Philadelphia and lose 130-110 to Milwaukee every game.

By the way, the piece is worth reading just for RGV assistant coach Paul Mokeski's rousing halftime speech:

“Sit down and listen,” Mokeski began. “It’s not brain surgery, OK? I’m going to show you some easy fucking numbers. I don’t care if you flunked fucking math, you can get these numbers. They average 99 points a game. That’s what they average, 99. We let them score 72 in one half. They’ve never scored 72 in one half, ever. Twenty-five layups, 14 in the first quarter … Until we decide we’re going to fucking guard someone, fucking stay in front of somebody, fucking get back in transition, fucking put your body on the line, it’s going to be like that."

Draft saved Draft deleted