1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was what it was: Banned words and phrases

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 31, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Givin' a shout out. If you're going to give a shout out, then by all means, SHOUT!

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Saying "when I was coming up" instead of "growing up" or "I was your age."

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

They are who we thought they were!

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper Jr. prefaces one out of every four sentences with, "you look at."

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll give you that one, but can we still use "crown their asses?"

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Point well taken.

Now get me a beer, noob.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And J_D, did you give P.J. Soles the Aunt Jemima treatment for her 57th?

8. T2

T2 Member

As to the original list, I agree that most of the 19 are overused or misused. Especially "organic." It meant one thing to Frank Lloyd Wright. It meant something completely different to the professor in my inorganic chemistry class. It means something else entirely to your average health-food nut.

However, I quibble with the inclusion of "waterboarding" and "surge" and "post 9/11." The first two are the actual names of certain activities of our government, and the third is the most concise way of expressing "after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001."

Just because people are tired of hearing about these things doesn't mean that the terms themselves are overused.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The problem is, phrases like 9/11 are tossed out in place of legitimate responses. Definitely overused in that sense. It would've been like FDR dropping in a Pearl Harbor reference every third line, especially in 1944 or 1945, when the tide clearly had turned.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What about "went missing" or "vanished" in stories about people who are missing.

"Went missing" almost makes it sound like somebody suddenly decided, "hey, I think I'll go missing." The context usually is something like, "they 'went missing' on Thursday" when you simply could say that "they haven't been seen since Wednesday."

Vanished? Short of a magic trick, they didn't vanish.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fixed.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Not a phrase, but I'm about sick of seeing every football player who scores take a dive into the end zone. Who was it said to act like you've been there? Only thing worse is celebrating every three-yard run or every tackle.

Draft saved Draft deleted