1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was what it was: Banned words and phrases

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Thank you."

When used after someone says something to affirm the other's opinion on a topic.

(It doesn't really bother me. I'm just trying to start trouble.)

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Thank you, JD. I couldn't agree more.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Mustache > thread

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thank you too.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Thank you!

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Metrics
    (I have to admit that I using 'going foward' all the time.)

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Others on my long-running list:

* Paradigm -- Stupid buzzword. Even the Navy fell in love with this one.
    * Think outside the box -- as opposed to thinking inside the rhombus?
    * Cowboy (or cowgirl) up -- No real cowboy has EVER said this. EVER!
    * (insert team name) Nation -- Does your nation require a passport? If so, maybe you should forego the effort and stay in your own freaking country.
    * Liberal media -- Can someone direct me to the "liberal" media I've been reading so much about? And something beyond just a web site address? I have NEVER worked for a "liberal" media outlet. EVER!
    * Dialogue -- As in, "Let's facilitate a dialogue..." Pardon me while I slip a leash on my dialogue and take it out for a walk before it leaves an elephant-sized dump in the foyer.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

man up

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Any time any sports announcer, editor or writer talks about giving a team or a player "some love." Hey, what you do on your own time is your business. You'll notice that in the bleeped version of "Bull Durham" when Annie Savoy complains that she "can't get laid" that line gets changed to "can't get love."

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"gritty" "high-motor" players who are "gym rats" and tend to be like "a coach out there". "tremendous athletes" and "great character" guys. And coaches who are "cleaning up the program" who might have an eye on the "coaching carousel."
    That last metaphor is especially bad since I've never seen someone get on a carousel without expressing interest in riding a carousel, get on said carousel while denying it wanted to go on a carousel and then suing the ride operator after getting on the carousel demanding its entrance fee back because the ride didn't live up to its end of the contract.
    The "coaching carousel" should be called the whorehouse where patrons sneak in and out discretely or get their significant others to increase their sex output in exchange for a promise not to visit said whorehouse.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Had I known that kind of argument would have worked, I might still be married. Or I might have had a whole lot more married sex.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

"When you look at" or "When you talk about" on sports talk radio. It is what it is: extraneous.

Draft saved Draft deleted