1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It was taken out of context."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Caught a blurb on the local news about the latest celebrity controversy :):)), as Jennifer Aniston apparently backtracks on talking shit about Angelina Jolie.

The short story: Aniston told Vogue that Angelina stealing Brad Pitt was, "so uncool" (boy, she really must have loved Brad to summon that kind of anger). Now she says the quote was "taken out of context."

That, of course, is bullshit, but it is being reported now, much the way it is reported every time some athlete, coach, celebrity or politician says something stupid and they know they can't take it back completely. So, instead of standing by their statements, they always say, "it was taken out of context" and "I can't believe Podunk Press would do that" (in Aniston's case it was, "I can't believe Vogue would go so tabloid").

So my problem, I guess is, how come reporters never ask the obvious follow-up - "How was it taken out of context? What did you originally say?" Instead, we just let them say it was taken out of context and blame the media for their stupidity, and then - and here's the kicker - we report it!

No wonder the public doesn't believe in us anymore. Every time a famous person says we took a quote out of context, we tell the public that we fucked up, even when 98 percent of the time, we didn't. We do enough fucking up on our own. It's time we stop letting famous people act like we're the ones who fucked up when they couldn't keep their mouths shut.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Totally agree. This should be like preaching to the choir, but then again, the reporters are the ones doing it, huh?

4. bigpern23

Hey, quit taking my quotes out of context, fucker!

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How was your quote taken out of context?

6. bigpern23

Well, I guess it was just taken completely out of existence. Not sure which is worse. :)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think I captured the relevant part of your post! :)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I assume that most of these "taken out of contest" responses are statements or releases in which the press is not given an opportunity to follow up.

9. sg86

sg86 Member

Normally, I'd actually side with the celeb. But this is Vogue, not some tabloid.

10. bigpern23

I disagree ... I think you see plenty of them on ESPN highlights and such and the Aniston one, in particular, was given during an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

That's it, TSP, you're on the list. And you don't want to be on the list!

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless you run a full transcript, all quotes are taken out of context.

Most athletes and celebrities don't even know what it means, they just use it as an excuse when someone calls them out on something they said.

I hate Jennifer Aniston with a passion, but I think calling someone "uncool" for stealing her husband is pretty tame.

12. bigpern23

Honest question, SG: are you a journalist?

Draft saved Draft deleted