1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. bigpern23

It's not in the first 26 episodes, but the show has been green lighted for a second season, releasing Nov. 18. Maybe then?

List of episodes/songs, Season 1 (guest singers in parentheses):
    1. Help; Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (Pink)
    2. I Am the Walrus; I'm a Loser (James Corden)
    3. Come Together; Rain (Aloe Blacc)
    4. Good Day Sunshine (Robbie Williams); Sun King
    5. Penny Lane; Birthday
    6. I've Just Seen a Face; Magical Mystery Tour (Eddie Vedder)
    7. When I'm Sixty-Four; Doctor Robert
    8. Ticket to Ride; Getting Better
    9. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!; You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    10. Day Tripper; In My Life (Frances)
    11. Why Don't We Do It in the Road?; The Word (The Shins)
    12. Glass Onion; Honey Pie (The Lumineers)
    13. Carry That Weight; Blackbird (Sia)

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Helter Skelter episode should be fun.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I can see a nice episode about how the doctor isn't scary and you should trust Doc Robert when you're sick, but knowing what that song is about would give me pause if I heard it on a kids show.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Dammit! Where was this when my children were kid cartoon age? Kind of like the lack of teachers DTF when I was in high school.

6. bigpern23

Meh. Four-year-olds are going to take it at face value.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think hardly anybody connects Manson with "Helter Skelter" any more; it's been a mainstay of McCartney's live shows for 20+ years.

Funny though, into the mid and late 1980s, it still had a kind of shock value, mostly covered by metal bands.

But when U2 covered it on "Rattle and Hum" in 1987 with Bono's stage intro, "Here's a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles; we're stealing it back," that seemed to kick open the gates and Paul started playing it live shortly thereafter.

Plus, Paul was coming out of a span of several years in which he put out "Ebony and Ivory," "Say Say Say," "No More Lonely Nights," so he probably figured he needed to go back to the Beatles vault to muscle up the playlist.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a great song. Too bad it's had to carry all that baggage.

9. Starman

Well, anybody who remembers the actual Manson killings has to be in their 50s now, and even the people who saw the teevee movie about it in the late 1970s would be mid-40s by now. So I don't think little kiddies are gonna be traumatized, unless some smart-ass and borderline sicko uncle or auntie or somebody feels compelled to explain a mass murder to preschoolers.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I agree. A 4 year old is not going to understand what "take a drink from his special cup" means. I just know if my kid (when I finally have a kid) were watching it, I would have a laugh with my wife about it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Starman

The one Beatles song for which it's really really hard to explain the lyrics to kids is "Happiness Is A Warm Gun."

Especially if they know what happened to John Lennon.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Run for Your Life."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted