1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised my kid doesn't like that show more than he does, particularly since he loved The Lion King. He'll watch the show, but he doesn't go crazy for it. I probably like it more than he does.

Right now, the rotation is mostly Beat Bugs, Paw Patrol, PJ Masks and Goldie and Bear. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when it's on.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just wait until Pokemon consumes all previous obsessions.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mine briefly got into it because he got a character guide at one of his school's book sales. He will devour anything that's a character guide to some universe, whether it's "Star Wars," "Minecraft," "Pokémon," or whatever else is coming down the pike.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anyway, it does seem like concerts are getting longer and longer as bands fight for the ever more dispersed entertainment dollar. Consumers win.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hey, it was Candlestick. They were probably freezing their asses off!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ron Howard has a documentary coming out Sept. 16 about The Beatles' touring years:

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

RubberSoul1979 and I Should Coco like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wasn't alive before they even broke up. I like a few or their songs, but I never bought a single CD of theirs and none of my friends had their CDs either, as opposed to the doors or the stones or the dead, their contemporaries. Great musicians and pioneers like Elvis, but I associate them with safe, parental music, which is probably unfair, but music tastes are never rational

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Paul and Ringo are still performing in their mid-seventies, and Paul is doing 2 1/2-3 hour shows, so it's certainly not unreasonable to figure the Beatles, had they stayed together into the 1970s and 80s, would have adapted to the new era of concert production, in which 30-minute shows wouldn't cut it any more.

Hell, they pulled 8-10 hour stage shifts back in their Hamburg days, so playing 2 1/2 hour shows shouldn't have been any big challenge.

The main advancement came in sound systems in 1968-70 or so, when stage monitors became common and groups could actually hear themselves play on stage.

Plus with the arrival of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, etc etc., the screeching would have toned down; the fans would have wanted to hear the songs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the episode based around, "Julia."

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I will have to screen the Maxwell's Silver Hammer episode before I let the kids watch it.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Count your blessings re the kids shows. You could be getting multiple repeats of Barney the Purple Dinosaur.

Draft saved Draft deleted