1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 40 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid git....

2. The point being -- and, i think, the critical difference being -- that the label wouldn't have dared jack the Beatles around that way, hence, Revolver and Pepper in the first place.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The studio should have stepped in when Ringo Starr made Stop And Smell The Roses.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know the song; am floored that Ringo had a version...

And he seems like such a nice, young boy [/margesimpson]

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

John once said Please Please Me was his favourite Beatles album because it was recorded in one day. It's always been my favourite too.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was the Walrus, but now, I'm gone.
    And so, dear friends, you'll just have to carry on.
    The dream ... is over.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Spin It On' kicks some ass off Back To the Egg. And I always dug "Rockestra Theme".

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of Back to the Egg back in the day. I'd nearly forgotten it about it.

Have we given Abbey Road short shrift in this discussion? Seems like a great band just about at the height of its power ...

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm a Revolver booster. Sgt P is no better than fifth in the Beatles canon.

Lately I'be been listening to a Forever Changes CD (extended) as well as a Love comp. Amazing stuff. Bummer in the Summer--I think I played over and over 20 times the other day.

Good Vibrations on its only cuts Sgt P to ribbons.

Re Jimi ... Axis: Bold as Love is '67, Little Wing ... nothing on Sgt P approaches.

Something Else, Younger than Yesterday, Axis ... a very good album not the greatest of the year. All-time, well, significant, not greatest.

YHS, etc

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Beatles = overrated

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, the opener, "Reception/Getting Closer," with a very "Walrus"-like radio-static intro melting into the song, in which the singer addresses a "salamander," who will "play me a song with a point," adds the chorus, "When will I see you? Oh no, don't answer, oh no," (Ono, don't answer?) adds the caution "sailor, beware of weather" (Lennon spent a lot of time during his 1975-1980 'retirement' sailing in Bermuda and off Long Island), and concludes "I'm getting closer to your heart," was taken by many in mid-1979 that McCartney was leaning toward a reconciliation with Lennon -- it was about this time McCartney was visiting Lennon fairly regularly at the Dakota.

In his "Double Fantasy" interviews just before his death, Lennon was dismissive of a Beatles reunion, but not violently so as he had been in the early and mid-70s. The gist of most of his comments were, "well, we'd never do it just for the money," and "it would have to be something we all wanted to do," rather than "never in a million years."

Coincidentally, one of the key lines of "(Just Like) Starting Over" was, "It's time to spead our wings and fly, don't let another day go by, my love, it'll be, just like starting over."

In the interviews, Lennon said, "it's got nothing to do with Wings," but all the same, he could have changed the line -- and he didn't.

Unfortunately, we'll never know.

12. Yes, we have.
    And the White Album, MMT, or Abbey Road are not possible without Sgt. Pepper.

Draft saved Draft deleted