1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 40 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

People are really splitting hairs when they are taking swipes at Sgt. Pepper's.

I think it is residual disgust from the Bee Gees movie.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

1. White Album
    2. Rubber Soul
    3. Revolver
    4. Sgt. Pepper's
    maybe 5. Beatles For Sale (because it was the first Beatles cassette I owned. bought it at a used record store and loved the cassette. played it so much, it eventually broke).

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I agree with the earlier sentiment about the White Album: essentially the first solo Beatle record. But I too rate it No. 1, followed by Rubber Soul and Revolver (the perfect bridges betwen Beatle eras) and Abbey Road. Sgt. Pepper and Let It Be ... Naked (not Phil Spector crime No. 2*) are battling for 5th and 6th.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why is it residual disgust from the movie? There were as many non-Sgt. Pepper's songs in the movie as there were from the album.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mostly performed horribly by people who never should have been allowed to touch them. :eek: ::) :eek:

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

See also: Idol season finale.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Forty years ago today, I still wasn't born yet.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, it's certainly better than those. But I agree not the best Beatles album. But definitely the most important, especially in terms of influence and how people made records. And I think it was the first album to include lyrics.

I think people like to rip on the Beatles because so many others love them, not because they don;t like them. Which is a dumb reason not to like a band.

9. Bob Slydell

Especially since there were no singles released off the album.

10. Bob Slydell

and actually I find myself listening to Beatles for Sale more than any other,

11. I'd take Are You Experienced of the 1967 crop.

Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Fire, Foxey Lady, Stone Free, Manic Depression, Are You Experienced?, Hey Joe.

That's one seriously bad-ass album.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For those of us around at the time, hearing St. Pepper's for the first time was like a glimpse into the future of rock. It's not my favorite Beatles album--that's probably the White Album but after hearing St. Pepper for the first time, you know pop wasn't going to be the same again.

And a lot folks back in the day considered the Beach Boys Rock Lite--bordering on bubblegum music.

Draft saved Draft deleted