1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 40 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jun 1, 2007.

1. I know a lot of people say that. I just don't get it.
    I bought Rubber Soul and Revolver at the same time, knowing a lot of people said that's when the Beatles came into their own (and they were right) and those were perhaps their two best albums.
    Rubber Soul is good. You can see them no longer being that early, bubble-gum band that sang almost nothing but love songs.
    But Revolver is like Rubber Soul taken to a whole other level.
    To me, it isn't even close between those two.
    In fact, I'll put Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's and The Beatles (the White Album) all ahead of Rubber Soul.

2. The White Album isn't even really a Beatles album. It's the four of them, each with the other three as session players.
    Revolver, for me.
    But Pepper changed the world. It changed how albums were made, and what you would get played on the radio. There is no question that it is far and away the most influential album of that period -- more than Pet Sounds because, frankly, the Beatles meant more than the Beach Boys ever did.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pepper influenced the culture a lot more (I'm not even sure Pet Sounds has reached platinum yet). But Pet Sounds influenced musicmakers more than Pepper did.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I am in agreement with many of you. For me it's: Revolver first, Rubber Soul second, White Album third, Sgt. Peppers fourth., Abbey Road fifth... There is not much separating 1, 2 3 and 4. The Beatles were so great, and each of the albums brings something new to the table. I can listen to any of those albums any time.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I was delivering pizzas, listening to the radio and grinning at the very same line.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's hard to separate the cultural impact from the music on Sgt. Pepper. I don't think it's close to their best album (I'd pick Revolver) -- in fact, it's not even my favorite Beatles album of 1967. I'll take Magical Mystery Tour. Certainly, though, Sgt. Pepper is a Work Of Great Art, and Magical Mystery Tour is just the music from a crappy movie.

I'm not sure the Philly writer is wrong. I'd probably go with "Are You Experienced?" for the best of 1967.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So that means it was 60 years ago today Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

On my way home tonight from work, Deep Tracks (XM 40) also referenced the 40-year anniversary of this album and played Day in the Life.

The E Major chord at the end of that song is one of the best chords to turn up the volume to.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The CD version even plays the dog-whistle at the end.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

By big picture, I hope to hell you don't mean the colossal fuckup of a movie.

[​IMG]

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Count me in as a Revolver guy. I won't deny Sgt. Pepper's cultural impact, but there's a higher percentage of unlistenable songs (Within You, Without You, Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite, Fixing A Hole, never been a huge fan of When I'm 64) on that album than any from their post Help! period that drags it down in hindsight. Revolver has zero songs in that vein.

Maybe it's because I've never listened to it on acid.

Post Help!, I'd rate 'em: 1. Revolver; 2. White Album; 3. Abbey Road; 4. Magical Mystery Tour; 5. Rubber Soul; 6. Let It Be (I like a lot of the songs, even with the Specter treatment); 7. Sgt. Pepper's.

When you rate seventh in that bunch, it's still a pretty damn good album.

Get back! Get back I say!

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I hadn't really listened to Revolver since, maybe, 1974.

My wife bought the CD (old school) a while back and I have been giving it a careful and repeated listen.

I really can't argue with anything about it that's been said here.

Draft saved Draft deleted