1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It takes a lot of balls: USA Today newspaper supplements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 18, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this?

The USA Today daily inserts and supplement pages are in maybe 35 papers around the country now, as I understand it, including the Jackson, Miss., paper that I see most days.

My initial thoughts:

1, I wonder if this signals Gannett's intention to dial down its AP participation. Not much need for wire copy if they'r relying on USAT for so much non-local copy. Could save some significant cash by cutting back on AP.

2, I've heard it argued that this will help local story count - this was the pitch made in Nashville when the staff was briefed in about it - but it really seems to have constrained the space in the Clarion-Ledger's sports section. Small sample size so far, just a week or two, so I can't draw real broad conclusions about that just yet.

3, You put enough blue and red dots on a paper, it looks like there's a 75-percent-off sale.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've read that the main impetus behind the move is that it will allow USA Today to "count" those supplements as USA Today circulation - and has a huge advertising benefit.

3. HejiraHenry

Yes, I read that as well. The supplements do not seem to contain any advertising so far, that I have seen.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've heard it's also going to be followed by some pretty good price increases for subscriptions. Taking the stance that, "Look at all the additional content we're giving you!"

No doubt in my mind that this could be a very effective move ... if done correctly. But I'd put the chances of it being done correctly at about zero percent.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I've seen it implemented in Indianapolis. So far it seems to have beefed up the Star's content a bit. Sports sections are bigger and it seems like the front A sections are too.

My question is Cincinnati is supposed to get the USA TODAY supplements. What will they do there? Cincy's paper is printed in the same compact format as Columbus...

6. HejiraHenry

I would assume these are modular elements that can be mixed and matched to suit the format. May be wrong about that.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I know some Gannett shops are under orders to use USAT and other Gannett papers' content when possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted