1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It starts with 1 - College Football opening weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Don't get me wrong, I understand why teams schedule FCS opponents. It just annoys me. And like someone said, it seems like it's happening more and more.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Two notable upsets last season were Jacksonville State beating Ole Miss and James Madison beating Virginia Tech.

I'm covering UT-Chattanooga at Nebraska tomorrow, but I don't expect an upset. UTC is getting $475,000 for the game, which is about 4 percent of its athletic department budget.

Odd facts: UTC played Bama in '09 and Auburn last season, as well as BCS title game loser Oklahoma in '08, which means it has played the last three Heisman winners.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a problem with teams scheduling FCS schools past September. I don't understand the point. It's not a tune-up game at that point, for either team.

I figure at least one top 25 team is going to lay an egg against an unranked opponent this weekend - my guesses would be the Domers or West Virginia.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Kingmakers?

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Damn those TCU offensive linemen are huge.
    Frogs are just a bigger and faster program in all aspects than homestanding Baylor.
    This one's gonna be a rout, it looks like.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So yeah, TCU might be OK at quarterback.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Baylor looks OK at the position, too.

8. dixiehack

Yeah, but the Bears better start putting kickoffs out of bounds.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did Gilmore really say Andy Dalton was the best QB in TCU history?????

Better than this guy?

[​IMG]

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite is happening, at least with some MAC teams. For example, Buffalo had a guarantee game lined up with West Virginia a few years ago for something like $600,000. Auburn was willing to pay around $1 million. So Buffalo backed out of the WVU game and went to Aubie. WVU then had to get an FCS at the last minute to fill the hole. I recall another MAC school did the same thing -- Pete Thamel had a pretty good story on this a couple of years back.

11. dixiehack

TCU down 21-16 but driving early 2nd quarter. Great game in Waco.

And as I type, touchdown Frogs.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I really wish they'd stop calling this kid RG3. It's annoying the shit out of me. Why not call him his last name, like everyone else?

Draft saved Draft deleted