1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It starts with 1 - College Football opening weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Let's focus on the real important issue here: putting dixiehack on the spot. Is that a Linkin Park reference in the thread title? For shame.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

In the end, it doesn't really matter.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Under/Over on when the Special Teams Coach becomes HC is 4 games

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think Mike Glennon will turn out OK. I'll give my impressions after Saturday's game.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hater's gonna hate.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sounds like Rob Bolden can stop threatening a transfer for now. He appears to be getting the start tomorrow from Paterno over Matt McGloin.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/09/penn_states_bolden_to_get_star.html

7. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I really wish the NCAA wouldn't allow teams to play FCS teams. I fucking hate all these 80-point wins. At least play a school from the MAC for fucks sake.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We get into this debate every year.

Most major I-A set their athletic budgets based on having seven home games every year. There are only so many "mid-majors" to go around. If you evenly distribute all the MAC, C-USA, Mountain West and WAC teams as opponents for the BCS schools in the early weeks, there are still teams and games left over.

There's a reason only two dozen or so I-A athletic departments make a profit, and it's because they clear a couple of million dollars per home game regardless of who they're playing.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

As a Truman alum, I can honestly say I'm surprised it was that close.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Answer 1: ESPN
    Answer 2: WKU doesn't have a big enough stadium to host Kentucky and Nashville is, what, an hour-and-a-half away?

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Idaho tried that last night ... Bowling Green was a pretty rude guest.

Texas A&M could crack the 80-point mark against the Vandals in a couple weeks.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Plus guarantee games provide a huge financial shot in the arm to FCS programs. They can get seven figures for games at the powerhouses. A shitkicking at Ohio State or Alabama keeps the lights on.

Draft saved Draft deleted