1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It starts with 1 - College Football opening weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And not all buzz is good buzz.

Ad execs can try to tell you it is, but it's not. People can be snickering about you, and it's not winning you anything.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

OLE Miss to go with their state flag layout on helmets next week

[​IMG]

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    doesn't understand the uproar.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, we get your point. What was the point with referencing South Carolina's state flag? Is a palmetto tree with a moon somehow racist?

5. jr/shotglass

Maybe not. Let's see if we put the palmetto tree on one side of a helmet and the moon on the other side.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

South Carolina was first to secede, and Mississippi quickly fell in behind them as No. 2.

It was the Confederacy's first legitimate one-two punch !

Hip, hip hooray !

And then Thomas Jefferson woke up once and decided to give all his slaves the day off.

And then the U.S. government (supported by most of the populous) decided to kill all the Indians and steal their hallowed lands.

The unique history of this still-fledgling-today nation just goes on and on and on and on and on ............

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Because some people will bitch about anything. If they were the uniforms they were gonna wear all season, or even every home game, I can see the OUTRAGE!! Maybe. But as it's been pointed out a million times, it was a one-time thing.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can we be honest? I mean really really really honest? Maryland's uniforms are no more hideous and tacky than any school/team who wears camo. I know I know. "Yerr insultin' our soldiers!" No, I'm not. I'm saying camoflauge was never meant to be on a sports uniform and it looks like vomit. But since it's usually Army or Navy or some team "honoring our troops" wearing it everyone just shrugs and goes "cool!"

9. jr/shotglass

Heh. Not everyone did.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Utah- in their cami's dishonored the troops when they got blown out by TCU last season.

They looked like the Republican guard taking on the 82 Airborne.

If your are going to wear cami's you better win

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

True this.

Draft saved Draft deleted