1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It starts with 1 - College Football opening weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Has a team ever failed to score in conference play? Because I don't think UK can this year.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But, but ... the coaches and players that came over for SEC Media Days talked soooooooo optimisitically about the coming campaign.
    And the Lindy's-style mags this summer all gave UK a fighting chance.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Relax. They still play Vanderbilt and Ole Miss this year.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hats off to TCU SID Marc Cohen for coming up with that tidbit.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

All I care is that Montee Ball got the TDs and not James White...I'm SO going to clean up this weekend with my fantasy team!

Oh, and Bobby Rainey is not as much of a stud as I thought he would be this year for WKU.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Also, at the DII level, Northwest Missouri State defeated cross-state rival Truman State 65-3 tonight.

There was a thread on this over the summer, but you may recall Northwest's longtime head coach Mel Tjeerdsma retired at the end of last season and the school promoted DC Scott Bostwick to head coach. Bostwick died of a heart attack over the summer and OC Adam Dorrel was handed the reins.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

SFA beat McMurry, 82-6.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh thank heavens for it, though. I won't miss Russell Wilson making sure no game is out of reach.

And now I'm hoping the new QB at NC State isn't any better than his older brother was at Va Tech.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a feeling that after last night, nobody in Madison is sorry Wilson is there...

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who was simply didn't know how good he was.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was nothing odder to me than seeing Russell Wilson lined up behind those beefy Wisconsin linemen. It just doesn't look right.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I generally hate the first few weeks of college football season, because you get a lot of Nebraska vs. Chattanooga type games, but I feel very fortunate to have two games the level of Boise-Georgia and Oregon-LSU this weekend.

I understand why teams from completely different regions don't play each other often, but man, do I love it when they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted