1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It seems Deadspin is about to go guns blazing at ESPN re: sex rumors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KVV, Oct 21, 2009.

1. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Just read the posting about the Senior VP ... wow. Now it's really getting murky. And now I REALLY hope the stuff Deadspin is printing is true. Because you can very easily argue that the Senior VP of ESPN is NOT a public figure (not like an anchor), in which case, all she'd have to prove to win a lawsuit is that the story is false.

Sorry I'm hijacking this thread. I just finished teaching a libel/privacy unit and find cases like this fascinating. If any of the lawyers/law students who are far smarter than me wish to point out that I'm wrong, please do so.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

My eyes are bleeding, Letterman, McNair, Nantz, Phillips and now I have to read about the possible indiscretions of every EVP as well?!? Oh, the humanity.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mediator, you could always not read it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is tremendous. I'm guessing someone in ESPN's HR department was recently dismissed and is sharing all of the company dirt.

God bless them for it, and if Deadspin can prove where they're getting the info, it would make a lawsuit against them very difficult to win.

I'm enjoying every second of this.

5. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Mizzou, if Deadspin makes a false allegation, where they got their information is irrelevant (unless it's an official government source).

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Deadspin's not smart enough or mean enough to deal with ESPN's sharks. It's a bunch that plays hardball when it comes to YouTube postings.

7. KVV

KVV Member

And Gawker? What about them?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's relevant if ESPN chooses to take action against the person who provided the emails. ESPN wouldn't even have to ask Deadspin where it got them.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm going to be very disappointed if Colin Cowherd doesn't make this list.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of these days, someone will find Daulerio with another woman, or man. Almost worth buying a camera and following him around.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Exactly. There's no way in hell this woman is a public figure to the degree anyone outside of Bristol in "the public" would know who she is or her role at the network.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm just stunned that more people here aren't loving this, or at least don't want to admit it.

ESPN has been sexual harassment central for decades. They were called on it in Freeman's outstanding book and I've never been able to look at Mike Tirico the same ever since.

So far he Deadspin has not targeted people for extramarital affairs. He's going after people who have sexually harassed people and someone who was sleeping with one of her bosses.

Go Deadspin go!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted