1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It really is over. CBS whacks Packer.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jul 14, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was about to post that only Vitale was a bigger coach-ass-kisser, but I see Lester beat me to it. Of course, Vitale's not nearly the pompous horse's ass that Billy "Fudge" Packer is.

Hell, why not?

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Packer says he wasn't fired, that he and CBS decided mutually on this and that he knew going into the season that it would be his last. Nothing in the story has CBS confirming that, however.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/07/14/packer.ap/index.html
    "These are really good circumstances," Packer told The Associated Press by phone. "This decision was made with myself and CBS over a year ago. Their timing to announce it is their business. I have nothing to do with that."

He won't be back covering ACC games, either.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Talked to him a few times over the years to get some thoughts on various issues I was writing about. He'd give you the evil eye when you'd approach, but if your topic was one that interested him, he'd be engaging and quite quotable. Yeah, he could be insufferable, but I'm ambivalent about this, all in all. Clark Kellogg doesn't excited me, though. Pretty vanilla.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I used to cut through Clark Kellogg's (and Vern Fleming's) yard when I walked home from high school in Indy. (And the minute both of them got decent contracts, they were the fuck out of our modest area.)

Years and years later, he was calling the conference tournament of the conference I cover and we spoke in the media room. I brought up that I used to cut through his yard, he had a good laugh.

That's all I got on Clark. Nice man, but I understand why people think he's boring on TV.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gary Thompson was another guy and lesser known who was paired up with Packer and Enberg.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nantz with Kellogg has the chance to be a better sleep-aid than a fifth of vodka and a straw...

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Al Michaels and Boomer Esiason. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's fabulous. As far as CBS announcers go, why doesn't Gus Johnson get more play. I've always thought he was great. Bilas may be an insufferable SOB, but he is money on the mic.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OHHHHHHHH! RELEASE THE HOUNDS! LET THEM RUN WILD WITH THAT FABULOUS GAIT! WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!

ON CBS!

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Gus Johnson?
    Please, I'll do anything...I'll give up my kids, I'll leave my wife. ANYTHING.
    Just jeep him away from any big event, I beg you.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Exactly. Bilas' Duke bias isn't quite as bad as Dickie V's, but he has his moments.

Draft saved Draft deleted