1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium, by John Ed Bradley

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 1, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Anybody else got a review copy of this book yet?

I devoured it yesterday ... it's a heartbreaking memoir of his days as a player at LSU and how it has affected the rest of his life.

I'm going to overreach, probably, but I'll say it belongs on the shelf next to A Fan's Notes and Richard Ford's Sportswriter books.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I assume the book came out of that terrific story he wrote for SI about his LSU days?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes. I got a review copy in the mail this week from the WWL.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I read that article on a flight to Miami to cover a Saints exhibition game with two colleagues from the Times-Picayune. One of the guys had made a couple of copies, so we read at the same time. Damn plane got dusty before we took off. All three of us noticed.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Been sitting on my desk for a week now, haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks to y'all's reviews, I'll start on it tonight.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Shit, I really want to read that.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shit I need to read this book. That SI story was one of the most poignant pieces of writing I have ever laid eyes on. It was a life lesson wrapped up in a story about sports, written only the way a master with words could do it. John Ed Bradley is a fantastic writer.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Anyone got a link to the original story? I haven't read it since it was in SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted