1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It makes a fellow not proud to be a Pirate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

He was pretty well-known as a Yankee prospect for being a Grade-A head case. He left in the middle of a game a few months before he got traded, if I recall correctly.

You may be right, but I think the guy's just a space cadet. And I'm sure his agents/Pirates PR dudes wrote the statement.

Plus, if he's in on it, wouldn't it have come out by now? I can't imagine his elderly wife would take the fall for this all by herself.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That could all be true.

I agree that he had plenty of help with the statement. It's probably unfair to assume he is lying, but he would have to be incredibly clueless not to realize his wife was faking the pregnancy and the birth (I'm assuming she staged the "blessed event" while he was out of town). Let's just say I'm reserving judgement.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Youneverknow. One of my sister's best friends as a teenager managed to keep her pregnancy from her parents until the baby popped out.

Never underestimate the stupidity/cluelessness of people.

4. outofplace

First thing to pop into my head upon reading that last sentence: "No officer. I have not been smoking marijuana in my vehicle today. But I did smoke it in here yesterday. Maybe that's what you smell."

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jarrod Saltalamacchia finally found his big league doppelganger.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I would assume he had plenty of help with the statement.

I would also assume he's not involved in the scam, otherwise the authorities wouldn't have been so quick to publicly dismiss that possibility.

Looks like he's a 20-year-old kid who fell hard for a line of bullshit. The only surprise is that in these cases, the male-female roles are usually reversed.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Not to trivialize the original case, but it gets worse for the future of the Pirates.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Manatee-Community-College-forces-Pirates-to-walk?urn=mlb,152646

8. outofplace

Well, it does fit in perfectly with the title of the thread, though I still maintain that there wasn't much reason to be proud to be a Pirate before this happened.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://homerderby.com/archives/4075

And the train is officially off the track, folks.

10. Smasher_Sloan

You really don't want to see Anna in a swimsuit, either.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's because Anna has now become the most bat-guano insane wife in Texas Rangers history, thank you very much.

(That Wikipedia has yet to even bother to update this fact on Anna's page speaks volumes about the Rangers' standing.)

12. Smasher_Sloan

Or Anna's.

Draft saved Draft deleted