1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It makes a fellow not proud to be a Pirate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter, Mar 25, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking more like Mark Merchant.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Buck, thanks for the note on the thread name.
    This also occured to me this morning...Anna Benson has probably lost her title as the most bat-guano insane wife in Pirate history Of course, I don't think I want to see Tabata's wife in a swimsuit.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is "Speak like a Pirate Day" coming up soon?

4. outofplace

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/25/251222/pirates-minor-leaguer-shocked-wifes-arrest-kidnapp/news-breaking/

Some more details, including a picture of Tabata's wife which proves cyclingwriter's suspicion was correct. This woman cannot fill out a swimsuit the way Anna Benson can.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Boooooooooooooooooooooo.

6. outofplace

The terrible luck involved in that one just makes you sick, doesn't it?

Just imagine what could have been with Bonds and Griffey in the same outfield. If you hadn't tossed breakfast back up already, that'll do it.

7. Trey Beamon

Also, Sheffield was available in the '86 draft. Damn Jeff King.

8. outofplace

Making bad choices like passing on Sheffield is one thing, but if I remember correctly, they had the worst record in baseball again in '86, but the top pick in the draft alternated between the worst team in the AL and the worst in the NL. The Pirates got the top pick in '86, when King was one of the top players along with Sheffield and Greg Swindell. Then the Mariners lucked into Griffey in '87.

9. Trey Beamon

Tabata's wife apparently lied to him about being pregnant. How nice.

Pirates prospect Jose Tabata, reading from a statement in Spanish, said his wife lied to him about being pregnant and then showed to him a baby that she later handed over to authorities, who arrested her on charges of child abduction.

He said Amalia Tabata Pereira, 43, also never informed him that she spent two years and nine months in prison in connection with a fraud and arson case in the same Tampa area where they met and wed while he was a member of the New York Yankees' Class A affiliate there.

"The truth is that my wife told me many lies that, until this whole situation began, I did not know," Tabata, 20, said early this afternoon before taking the field in Pirate City, returning to baseball activity with the Class AA Altoona Curve after taking two days off since the arrest of his wife of 14 months.

"One that hurt me a lot was her history as a criminal -- that she had spent years in prison, that she had robbed and committed fraud. But the worst lie was that she completely falsified her pregnancy and the eventual birth of a baby girl, which would have made me a father for the first time. Imagine how that made me feel."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09086/958778-100.stm

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, that's seriously fucked up.

Those last two sentences are heartbreaking.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Assuming Tabata is not in on the whole deal himself. Time will tell, I suppose.

The statement itself stinks to high heaven -- assuming he's telling something close to the truth, do you think anybody who could get duped to that extent would be capable of issuing a lengthy, detailed and comprehensive statement on the matter?

Either Tabata had something to do with it, or he's so dumb he shouldn't be allowed to walk around in public without a trained handler.

12. outofplace

I'm not sure I buy his story, either. If it's true, that is one hell of a con job she pulled on him.

Draft saved Draft deleted