1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is not going to end well for Johnny Manziel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It will not surprise me in the least if we've seen the last of Johnny on the field. Teams will overlook a lot of personal transgressions if you're good. If you're an indifferent, drunk, woman-beating piece of shit who can't play, there isn't a lot of interest. He isn't even close to being worth the hassle.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Johnny Manziel for damn sure wasn't brought up like Todd Marinovich. In fact he'd be way better off if he had been brought up like Marinovich.

He's an affluenza patient.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The nutty thing is, Manziel has some talent. He'd be better than a number of backup QBs in the league and could have a long career as one if he'd just stop acting like an idiot.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But he isn't "acting like an idiot." He genuinely is one.

TowelWaver and dixiehack like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What Manziel doesn't get is that if you can't play, the celebrity status goes away fast. Remember when Matt Leinart was an A-lister? Manziel is the football Vanilla Ice.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Except Marinovich is an accomplished artist.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure this is true. A lot of people who know much more about football than I do have watched him and concluded there just isn't much there.

I mean, Cleveland can't wait to get rid of him. If you're not good enough for Cleveland to deal with your shit, you're not long for the league.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Football Vanilla Ice... love it!

He's the white Lawrence Phillips, except he grew up with a ton of money and hasn't been accused of murdering anyone... yet.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was on that side, too. I thought people were overreacting to a college/young kid doing what college/young kids do. It's clear that it's far worse than that.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thirded. I thought he was just young and dumb. And I thought he enjoyed the game enough that he could pull out of it. I hope this doesn't end as badly as it looks like it could.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Of course the investigation has been dropped. A Red State DA isn't going to prosecute a rich guy who played football -- and famously so -- at Rick Perry's alma mater.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's been clear since the beginning of Manziel's story it was going to end badly.

Draft saved Draft deleted