1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is JON Lester, right?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I also subscribe to their sister magazine, Time, and it's mind-boggling how thin it has become. Ad sales nosediving.

Yet, a couple months ago, they ran an essay whose tone can only be described as snide and condescending near the front of the magazine about newspapers going out of business, filing bankruptcy, losing ad buys, etc., then giving a list of reasons for this happening, basically pointing out how stupid our industry is. Maybe they are right, but how can they say all that without turning the spotlight onto themselves and their own miserable downfall???? They are a part of this, too.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hardly. Sports Illustrated is one more symbol of what happens when the suits at the top cut beyond bone and their cuts affect the product.

Many of the people on here are frustrated with what has happened to a once proud product that has been allowed to decline precipitously because revenue dollars are dramatically lower.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No clutch, I never did throw perfectos. Neither did my section, no matter how hard we tried. That's why SI amazed me so much. You could never find a damn typo.

4. clutchcargo

Moddy--glad I got your attention. Any chance you can put a freeze or whatever you call on on that ongoing Gannett thread that has over 1,000 postings and start a new one? Just to give it a fresh start. I'm not alone in thinking this. Thanks.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Gannett and baseball, both growing beyond their limits.
    So that's why you posted that contrarian crap!?!?!?!!

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you do it, then we won't have to look at the wrong form of "lay off" in the subject line anymore.

:)

7. clutchcargo

Huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted