1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is high! It is far! It is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. cubman

cubman Member

The other night the YES Network was replaying Doc Gooden's no-hitter from 1996. Sterling's calls were pretty cut and dry in that one. That's the Sterling I remember hearing on WABC at night back in the mid- to late 90s. I agree this version of Sterling began around the time Michael Kay left.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

well done, ragu. while i still believe this is a year in his favor, it's close enough to the truth. i mean, i don't have a clue why he would say he was 35 on 10/24/72 when i interviewed him when according to this he was 34, but close enough.

71 or 72, there's no excuse for the unlistenable mockery of a sham he's become.

suggestion: the steinbrenners love sterling, obviously. but should do better by their fans held hostage by the radio. sooooo....

have waldman do pre- and post-game duty. hire a good, young radio play-by-play person. keep sterling on as the color man, so he can shill away between pitches. do-able? or is having three radio voices travel with a team too costly?

sure, the geezer's pride will be hurt, buthe's still hangin' on well past his prime due to monetary issues. many of us are in the same boat. we suck it up. why not him?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's funny -- most baseball broadcasters seem to get better with age. Sterling has gotten worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted