1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is high! It is far! It is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read the first two grafs and turned away...

I remember when Ernie Harwell was eased -- OK shoved -- out in the waning days of the Monaghan regime. One of the WJR sports guys -- and not Frank Beckmann -- would complain that Harwelll couldnt see the ball either. A long fly ball was a popup, a popup was a homer.
    "He's still got the pipes," compained the uptight broadcaster, "but he just can;t see the ball any more."
    Harwell retired 10 years later, legend intact. And ego is one thing that Harwell doesn't have.
    I'd listen to Harwell now in his 90s and cant see than Sterling in his 70s and cant see.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

he stood like a house on the side of the road and watched it go by.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . making him a perfect Yankee employee . . .

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Check that ...

My fave Harwell line: "He's out for excessive window shopping."

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He is the real life Ted Knight. I've listened to him for all of his 21 years doing the Yankees and there was a time when he was not such a pompous jackass. It seems like only the last 5 or 6 years that he added too much to his act such as the personalized HR calls ( abomb for a rod) . Suzyn Waldman does not help. His best years were with Michael Kay.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Love it.

I so badly want to approach him and ask him to do "Dominique... Mag-ni-FIQUE!"

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Does anyone here know ANYONE
    who goes out of their way to listen to Yanqui games on the
    wireless because Mr. Self-Reverential Douchebag is
    doing the game?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends what the mix is on TV, even on YES. But if it's a choice between a sometimes annoying local announcer who handles the coverage every day and listening to Fox or ESPN announcers who are unfamiliar with the team and repeat anecdotes I've already heard/read during the week, you bet your ass I'm picking Sterling, warts and all.

My philosophy on broadcasters is:

1.) I don't consider them journalists, so I don't set the bar very high for them informing me. There is no real harm if, for four seconds, I am misled into believing someone has hit a home run. I've also been known to misjudge whether a ball is going out when observing with my own eyes, much closer to the action than the broadcast booth.

2.) They are not the perfectly grilled steak, they are the undercooked baked potato. I'm not going to judge the overall experience on whether I enjoy the announcers, even on radio. Baseball is still the entree and I won't let any announcer ruin it for me.

3.) I don't think most of us have a huge frame of reference with broadcasters around the country, at least not on an everyday basis. I've lived/worked in four MLB markets and found most of them annoying, at least sometimes, when I listen to them enough.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's gross he calls a Nick Swisher home run "Swishalicious."

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That's probably the worst one.

One more reason to hate the Yankees: Their assclown announcers.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With the advent of XM and the ability to hear all every MLB game you realize even further how bad Sterling and Waldman are.

I love listening to Uek do a game by himself. It's clean broadcast without the extra white noise of color person adding useless anecdotes. Waldman delivers one useless story after another.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's way too hard to hide your birth date if people want it. ...

His given name is Harry Moskowitz. He was born in the Bronx, NY on July 4, 1938, which would make him 71. Interestingly, it looks like someone made a concerted effort to scrub the internet of his true birth date on as many sites as possible. They shaved 10 years off his age. Here is the old cached wikipedia page someone else linked to, but the version before someone went in and changed his birth date.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nLzGO8EudrsJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sterling_%28sportscaster%29+%22john+sterling%22+yankees+hawks+born&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Draft saved Draft deleted