1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is high! It is far! It is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

just to fill in an oft-discussed topic among yankees fans, as mentioned in the piece sterling refuses to divulge his age. with good reason: i know for a fact he is either 72 or 73.

that said, he still has amazing pipes, energy and endurance.

but it also might help explain why HE JUST CAN'T SEE WELL ANYMORE!!

of course, no explanation for his atrocious, terrible, nauseating pet calls. he sounds like steinbrenner or any other much-hated person of notoriety: they profess to be doing fine because everyone they meet tells 'em so.

no doubt. folks are polite in person, face-to-face, for the most part. but there isn't a yankee fan i know -- and i know plenty-- who doesn't agree the team's radio team is horrendously bad. thank gawd i never have to listen to the radio anymore.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

72 or 73, with an 11-year-old daughter and 9-year-old triplets. Mercy. I'd never leave the booth either!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Apparently, Sterling is just 61, born on the Fourth of July.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i promise you, this wiklipedia date is wrong. he's been lying and/or not disclosing his age for years.

how do i know? glad you asked. i was a 15-year-old h.s. sophomore when i interviewed sterling for a journalism class. the date was 10/24/72, the day jackie robinson died. sterling was a sports radio talk show host in nyc.

anyway, he was only too happy to brag that he'd hit it big at 35. yes, 35. do the math, people.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So he wasn't 24 when you interviewed him?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, that is correct, sir. for those scoring at home who give a spit.

we are all about accuracy here at SportsJournalists.com. ;D ;) 8)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This may be the greatest post in board history. Seriously. The fact John Sterling admitted his age to some kid 37 years ago, only to have said kid actually make it in journalism and retain this information long enough to identify Sterling's age when he absolutely refuses to do so...awesome. Totally awesome!!!

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The man still has one of the great voices in the history of the profession.

But even given that, he should have retired, years ago.

But then, announcing Yankee games has never been about niggling considerations such as
    . . . accuracy.

10. i heard Sterling's Teixeira HR call yesterday

he called it a Tex Message

sterling does get a ton of stuff wrong and his catch phrases are horrifyingly bad. but he's so over the top i get a kick out of him

and "It is high, it is far ...." is actually a very good signature HR call (it's just that the ball doesn't always go out when he does it)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And then there are the countless times he yells "it is high ... etc." and comes back to tell you that somebody hit a bullet of a line drive.

He did it with a Damon HR the other ...actually said, "That ball got out so fast I almost didn't have time to make the call."

Self-serving jackass... and just as pompous away from the broadcast booth.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

exactly, spnited. "it is high, it is far..." is far too often a line drive, sometimes not a home run and too frequently both.

listen, he couldn't have been nicer to me as a 15-year-old dork with a big, clumsy tape recorder. it was a huge moment for me and the buddy who accompanied me (it was his recorder).

john hadn't yet become the blowhard he developed into. wasn't even yet doing any play-by-play in n.y., just the talk show.

but he eventually became incredibly short and rude to callers, his ego beginning to run amok. believe me, i take no delight in running him down.

Draft saved Draft deleted