1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

**It Happens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Perhaps it won't surprise anybody, or perhaps you've all heard it before, but readers have been saying, "Don't you have proofreaders?" since, oh, 1750.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but we actually had them until 1967!

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not enough copy editors, indeed.

[​IMG]

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is what happens when companies try to bleed every drop out of increasingly smaller and/or non-existent stones. It's understandable that readers would be a bit upset ... how many newspapers are really offering more and better? Are they slashing the subscription rates at the same rates the suits have eliminated jobs and issued across-the-board paycuts?

But do readers want to hear excuses? No. We, as a profession in addition to the great majority of this board, aren't into excuses. There's little to do except sit on the grenade and move forward - without further excuse.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When it's in a headline, sorry, it's bullshit and laziness. As busy as I've seen newsrooms, there is always 10 seconds to look at the headlines.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't care how many pages you have to read in a given night, there's no excuse for a professional to miss something like that in display type. That's like missing an extra point. It happens, but it shouldn't.

And I say this as guy who once let through "So-and-so had three shits and 2 runs ... " in the lede of a baseball gamer. I know it happens. But that doesn't make it suck any less.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I agree on this, shouldn't happen in a headline. If anything gets a final scan on the page, it should be headlines, followed by cutlines. The big type is what most people pay attention to. Also, don't make excuses to readers. Say you're sorry, made a mistake, we'll do better.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's also a matter of just having standards. If you're going to set the bar at "it's OK to have 'shits' in a headline because we used to have a lot more people here," there's basically nothing you're ever going to feel obligated to do right.

Not saying anyone should lose a job. But everyone should feel like ... shift.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What the hell did that guy eat before the game?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember that guy -- Diarrhea Jones.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lots of runs, if I remember his bio correctly

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He was a regular in the line-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted