1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It gets the hose again? NCAA says nay.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 30, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Portland University self-reported a secondary violation when one of its golfers received an "impermissible benefit" -- she washed her car with a hose that was not readily accessible to non-athletes. She had to make restitution of $20, which was deemed fair value of the water and use of the hose.
    That'll teach her.

To be fair, the NCAA says it didn't consider this a violation. But the fact that a school felt the need to self-report it to be on the safe side says a lot about what they would consider a secondary violation.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What was she wearing when she used the hose?
  3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought about posting this myself, then I thought about how often I have to muster outrage at this fascist organization and couldn't get the energy to do so.

I did find some of the comments interesting, though. So does this mean anyone's flag football team has the right to use the main football stadium and their locker rooms because the football team gets access that the flag football team doesn't?
  5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Pay the players already. Geez.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Let me go on record as saying that the NCAA might be the most corrupt organization in the history of American Sports.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Certainly they're infected with the most assclowns. You can't make this shit up.
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. As an SID, I wondered if was allowed to let one of our players use my office phone since it wasn't readily available to the rest of the student body.

Oh, and speaking of self-reporting, I will admit to this...... I once gave a women's basketball player several hundred dollars in cash out of my own pocket so she could fly home to attend the funeral of a relative. The season was over, her eligibility was done and I was leaving the school in a couple of months anyway. I gave her some large bills at a party at her apartment, because I cared enough to want to help and all the coaching staff members were too afraid of being caught.

To the best of my knowledge, no one except she, me and her roommate ever knew. But I really didn't care if they did or not.
  9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

She sounds hideous!

BTW, it does't look like the story says it was Portland U that self-reported the violation. It says the PU hoops coach tweeted about it when he heard the story at the WCC meetings.

Just throwing that out there for everybody scouring the Portland website trying to figure out which member of the golf team was washing her car.
  10. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

The NCAA is the AAU of professional sports.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

AAU is the farm system to the NCAA.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The NCAA does often suck, but it appears in this case it's completely blameless since it clearly said it wasn't a violation, even secondary in nature. So they get cheap-shotted even when they don't merit it, which they clearly don't in this case.

Sounds as if the problem was an idiot in the UP compliance office, who didn't even bother to check with the NCAA, but the NCAA (in this case) makes for a convenient whipping boy for someone to get all worked up about.
Draft saved Draft deleted