1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It brightened my day....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks. :D

I love this old logo, but it's always amused me at the same time. It's not anywhere near as pronounced now, but 'way back when' there used to be a huge rivalry between St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Of course, St. Paul is better! ;D [/native St. Paulite]

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When you write for a community newspaper, it's nearly impossible not to care about some of the topics you cover. There was a small-town library being built totally through donations and one guy -- a retired airline pilot -- was doing about 90 percent of the construction himself.

I covered that library from beginning to end and as they were getting close to opening, the retired pilot made it a point of saying part of the support (financially, material, etc.) he received over the four years was due directly to me.

We may not always see the impact we have on people's lives, but we do. Bless you for feeling a bit rejuvinated by that scrapbook. Your story put a smile on my face.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

You should feel touched. It's nice to know people notice the good things we do sometimes. Occasionally, our stories do make a difference in the lives of our subjects and readers. Good for you.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Glad it brightened your day, girlie.

I had a similar experience a few months ago. A couple of years ago, my "beat" team won a state championship. I had spent countless days and hours covering this team, thinking of every scenario when they won, hell I even said a few prayers.

Earlier this winter, my mom subbed at the school for a global studies teacher. She hadn't taught in about ten years, so when she saw my stories laminated in the back of the classroom she was just about in tears. Made my day, especially since I'd just quit the paper.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Nice story, Rosie.

The first time I realized I made a difference, albeit slight, was the day we took our kids to a free medical screening at a local church.

While wafting the kids through the different stations, I happened upon what must have been the youth room. On the wall were all of these stories I wrote about the kids that went to that church.

Like you, I thought it was touching, and I keep that in mind through the down times.

Hang in there.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

A bit of a selfish bump...it's really cheered me up to read all the great comments here. Thanks!!!

And........

Any prayers and good thoughts sent this way will be greatly appreciated.

My professional life is about to get very rough here for a while.

What is that old saying? The darkest hour is just before the dawn?

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Hang in there, Rosie. I'm sure you're versatile enough to fill any position -- just like Cesar Tovar.

In my prep days, I wrote a sad story on an athlete whose career was derailed by injury. Pretty standard story, I realize now. Didn't know that then. But the family loved it and I still exchange holiday cards with the athlete.

Draft saved Draft deleted