1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IT band running pain

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anybody ever deal with this? The outside of my right knee hurts whenever I run. I'm fine at first, but as I go along it gets slowly and steadily worse, until by about 1 1/2 or 2 miles in, I have to stop it hurts so bad. It started a month ago on a 15-mile run, when my knee gradually started hurting over the course of it but I pushed myself through, only to wake up the next morning unable to bend my knee. That lasted two days, and since then I've not been able to run without knee pain.

I've done some googling and decided it must be the IT band. I've done the stretches I've seen recommended, I've taken a week off a couple of times -- with only a single run breaking that up to test if it's getting better, and I don't think it is.

I'm frustrated as hell because I love to run and I can't. Especially today, when it's Nov. freakin 8th and it's 75 and sunny outside. I went for a run and barely made it out of my neighborhood before I had to turn around and come back because I could feel the general discomfort that comes before the outright pain.

What's the best way to make this go away so I can run again?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rusty, No experience with that. My knees are fine. Sorry. But I have given myself multiple stress fractures by running when there was something wrong. I know the frustration of not being able to run, and that is why I have run through pain, but the damage you can do will shut you down a whole lot longer than figuring out what is wrong instead of trying to push through. Is it possible for you to see an orthopedist? I don't know your situation, insurance, ability to go, but it is the best thing to do. My girlfriend has bad knees and has had three operations on one of them and can't run anymore. She used to be fiendish about running and she misses it now. You don't want to mess with a knee. Better to shut it down and go to a doctor, if you can.

3. prhack

prhack Member

I dealt with this a few years ago when I was turning 20-30 miles per week on a treadmill. Pain would be so bad that I had to walk straight-legged (especially on hills and stairs) for a day afterward. Had no idea what it was for the longest time. Then a buddy and former competitive runner got down in the floor of the restaurant where we were eating lunch and showed me a particular stretch that cured everything -- literally -- in a matter of days.

You may have already tried this. If not, here's the best explanation I can provide: Sit against a wall, with your uninjured leg bent at the knee, foot flat on the floor, then pull your injured leg across it. If you're doing it right, you should feel a stretch in your hip. As I understand it, inflexibility in this area causes your IT band to rub across a bursa sac in your knee, creating inflamation and pain. In my case, this stretch worked wonders.

Hope everything works out. I don't run much anymore, but when I did, the kind of layoff you are talking about would have driven me crazy.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A blogger on LAObserved did a fanfuckingtastic job of chronicling her journey from can't-run-a-mile to I-finished-the-LA-Marathon last spring; but as she neared race day, she was clobbered by IT pain...and explains all you need to know in her blog:

http://www.laobserved.com/runon/2009/05/week_31_injury.php

5. Rusty Shackleford

Thank you all. On the recommendation of a friend, I went out and bought a knee brace yesterday. I'm not gonna try running again til this weekend -- give the knee some rest. But until then, I'm gonna do some stretches for it and when i actually run, wear the brace. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Ragu: Unfortunately, a doctor visit is out of the question at this point. But a friend does work at a physical therapist's office and said she can get me a few minutes with a therapist for free, so I'm gonna give that a go.

prhack: I haven't seen that stretch anywhere at all the dozens of sites I've scoured looking at info on this crap. I'll definitely give it a shot, soon.

tigervols: I'm gonna read that once I'm off SJ. Thanks.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I had this many years ago. Try running on the opposite side of the road, if that's possible, or check your shoes. My IT pain disappeared virtually overnight when I switched from Brooks to Saucony shoes; they altered my footfall slightly and that made all the difference.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There is an IT ban stretch I used to do. Also may be joint pain associated with dehydration.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Wuss.

Just cut it out.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Wore a knee brace this weekend. Incorporated some new stretches and strengthening exercises in the days leading up to the run and was able to get in a pair of 3-milers without knee pain, though now my hip feels like it's got a bruise deep inside. It doesn't hurt when I walk or run, but it hurts when pressed. Strange.

Anyway, I was thrilled to be out and able to run again. Hope my hip doesn't come after me now though.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A running buddy of mine swears by something called Chi Running. He even attended a class in San Francisco for it -- said it was full of people who had flown in from around the world.

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php

Draft saved Draft deleted