1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s Time to Legalize Polygamy. Why group marriage is the next horizon of social liberalism.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 28, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Unless the first wife was already there, then they would show the second one in.

And even if the first wife was there, they'd very likely show the second one in anyway.

Now, could the second wife tell the hospital to pull the plug if the first wife said to keep him alive?

That would be a bit trickier and would take some legalese to solve, I'd guess.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You'd need at least three wives. Gotta have a tiebreaker if necessary.

Big Circus likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the divorce from the first wife mean that the second wife would have the primary rights?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They don't call you Quant for nothing. #mathwins

doctorquant likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Uh, this is a polygamy hypothetical. Thus, "second wife" means his second wife. A wife he has in addition to his first wife. Not replacing a divorced or deceased one.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And you'd also need a top end cap rule to prevent the billionaires from buying up all the hot wives leaving only a few scraps for the rest of us. I mean, my god, if you think we've got class resentment issues in this country now.....

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ever read up on those communities in which polygamy is actually practiced? The young guys, entering their prime courting/marrying years, routinely get run off for very trivial, perhaps even trumped-up, offenses, the better to keep competition for the marry-able women at a minimum.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The writer of the piece, deBoer, is someone whose writing I often enjoy. He's actually a frequent commenter on Gawker, but also has written many things ripping on Gawker. I thought he had the best piece that dissected Scocca's much-praised essay on smarm a few years ago. And he often writes superbly about the effect of social media on the world, etc. He's also pretty left-wing in most areas. And I liked this piece too.

He wrote something on his site as a followup that has some good things.

my Politico piece on polygamy | Fredrik deBoer

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So people should be taught to suppress some attractions but not others? How consistent.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it is not the job f the government or the court to sanction one's religious beliefs, if polygamy is part of one's religion, then Hobby Lobby allows them to practice it. If the young buck can't push aside the older males in the herd to mate with the young females, that is just natural selction

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Scalia Rightists will recognize that a man may have multiple wives because that is in the bible, but a woman cannot have multiple husbands. That is against the laws of man

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Of course, you nitwit. Isn't that obvious? We are taught to suppress our urges to do things like steal, drink and drive, kill, etc. because those are activities that have been deemed societally destructive enough to make illegal. But we are not taught to suppress urges to do thing deemed less societally destructive. It's not fucking complicated.

And whether you agree with it or not, our society apparently now believes that allowing gay people to get married is not as harmful to society as polygamy. Deal with it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted