1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s Time to Legalize Polygamy. Why group marriage is the next horizon of social liberalism.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 28, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As noted on the other thread, trolling trolling trolling Politico keep that trolling motor going as if you pay enough you can find anyone to write the opinion to keep the trolling and clicks going.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Up next: Bestiality!! WOOOF!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not comparable because both interracial marriage bans and gay marriage bans allowed some people the benefit of monogamous marriage, but not others, when everyone is supposed to be treated equally under the law. Polygamy is banned for everyone. It isn't a matter of some people being allowed to practice it, and others not.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think trolls should be allowed to marry as many imaginary, big-boob blondes as they want.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If all parties consent to the arrangement, and no other applicable laws are being broken, we shouldn't care who polygamists want to marry either.

old_tony, Jake_Taylor and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't get me too worked up as a "parade of horribles" item, either.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would think anyone interested in multiple spouses is just a huge glutton for punishment...

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Polygamy is not likely to become more popular if it's legalized. Cultural norms will still prevail. (Not to mention the burden of an additional wife as others have pointed out!)

Legalization will simply acknowledge a practice that already occurs in certain segments of the population.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why not? Fuck it.

Just make it a crime to conceal one existing marriage from another.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All depends on semantics. Same-sex marriage was "banned for everyone" at one time, too.

A few years ago . . .

Gay man: "I want to see my spouse in ICU."
    RN: "Sorry, only immediate family is allowed. We do not recognize your union."

Today:
    Second wife: "I want to see my spouse in ICU."
    RN: "Sorry, only immediate family is allowed. We do not recognize your union."

Does the second person really deserve a "fuck you" in this era of "Love wins!" ?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    old_tony, Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe the Citizens United ruling will lead to someone marrying a corporation, then suing for divorce and half their assets, since in the yes of five justices corporations were people. Slippery slope!

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What the hell is being "born that way" w/r/t polygamy? Having a natural attraction to more than one woman/wife? I think nearly ALL men are born with that gene, but we're taught to suppress it. The "born that way" test ain't exactly the strongest argument against polygamy.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted