1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s over... Disney wins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Signed up for a year. Didn’t get the $4 deal. Tried once but never got confirmation and then didn’t go back in time. Still, with the list of all it will have from Day 1, $70 for a year is worth it for me:

Every movie and TV show that will be on Disney+ at launch

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not the target audience for this, but that's a seriously impressive lineup.

(I noticed they chickened out on "Song of the South," though.)

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Yeah, I think that’s rightly on the shelf forever. Unless you visit the Museum of the Confederacy in New Orleans... it was in the gift shop.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Was it really? Wow.

From the film historian perspective it's kind of a bummer that it's disappeared, but yeah, I totally get it. Put it on the streaming service and you're going to get a whole lot of "What the hell is this?!?" from unsuspecting parents.

5. Deskgrunt50

Perhaps the most disgusting gift shop I’ve ever seen. Disappointing because the collection was donated by Jefferson Davis’s widow and a lot of insights to see. The World War II museum across the street is among the best though

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I actually thought you were kidding when you posted it was in the gift shop. I should have remembered that you were posting about something in New Orleans, so nothing is too absurd to be real.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I may still have a Hong Kong bootleg of "Song of the South" that came from Goodwill. It is easily the creepiest movie I have ever seen. Every time I run across it, I wonder if it should be handled with tongs.

Some Disney completist friends desperately want it. They argue it's "cute" and I need to "consider the times." What? Those sweet memories of lynchings? Jim Crow? At one point in the movie, the lady of the plantation scolds Remus and makes vague threats. She "doesn't know what she's going to do with him." Vile. Just...vile.

Imagine this movie without the irony and you have "Song of the South."

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone ponying up for Apple Plus? It would be a great time to be a TV producer these days with everyone needing content. My guess is that many of these new shows will be undercooked ideas that fail to deliver. Which is even more glaring when a company is betting $100m or so on it to succeed.

9. outofplace

You are probably right. For the moment, I'm just hoping Disney didn't drop the ball on The Mandalorian. I haven't had anything new to binge in a while.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Disney will be fine - it is the outlets that don't have enough of their own content that will really need to develop shows that get someone to add another service. Nice thing about HBO, you can get it for a month and catch up on shows and then suspend the account. Apple plus was smart to charge just $5 a month (and free for a year if you buy an Apple product) - you need an audience to enjoy shows and make others feel like they are missing something.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  11. outofplace

That is a good point. I'm not really that worried about Disney-plus. Between The Mandalorian, the announced series that are part of the MCU and the existing content, I expect to get plenty of use out of that account.

12. outofplace

I just spent 10 minutes scrolling through the Disney+ Twitter feed, which is just a stream of tweets of the content that will be there when it goes live. Just my Marvel nerd alone will keep me in binge-able stuff for a very long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted