1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#IStandWithAhmed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MagoIL, Sep 16, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Big news.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He gone:

Less than 24 hours after Ahmed Mohamed met President Obama, his family decided it’s time to leave America for good.

The 14-year-old Texas boy who was arrested for bringing to school a homemade clock that authorities said resembled a bomb will soon be living in Qatar.

“After careful consideration of all the generous offers received, we would like to announce that we have accepted a kind offer from Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development (QF) for Ahmed to join the prestigious QF Young Innovators Program, which reflects the organization’s on-going dedication to empowering young people and fostering a culture of innovation and creativity,” the family said in a news release Tuesday.

Anthony Bond, a close family friend and the founder of the Irving, Texas, chapter of the NAACP said the family made the decision to leave the U.S. within the past 24 hours.

‘Clock kid’ Ahmed Mohamed and his family will move to Qatar

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This whole story has turned out to be a fraudulent joke. We all got played. And I'll readily admit I'm one of those who initially fell for it hook, line and sinker. And, sadly, some of you still haven't figured it out [paging qtlaw...]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    old_tony likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Screw that; this is not a fraud until its shown that the Sheriff (or police dept.) was in on the joke to handcuff a 14 yr old kid who brought a clock to school. No one brings a clock to school HOPING to get arrested and handcuffed in front of his fellow students. Everything that happened subsequent is merely society understanding the wrong that he was subjected to and trying to make up for the ignorant actions of the school and police.

He got celebrity status and got to meet the POTUS? Awesome, because he was just an innocent boy with an inquisitive mind and those in power tried to humiliate him and failed.

You know why I feel like this? Because everyday people in US would rather fawn over someone who can throw/kick/carry a ball instead of someone who is intelligent, innovative and/or brilliant.

Start looking for the good in people instead of the bad, start celebrating innovation and invention and we'll be better off as a society.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

nd
    Oh for fuck's sake. You really don't have a clue.

First of all, there's absolutely NOTHING "innovative" "intelligent" or "brilliant" about what this kid did. NOTHING. The whole initial media narrative about him supposedly having "built a clock" is bullshit, thoroughly debunked by no shortage of knowledgeable observers in the days since (see here and here for just a couple of examples). In reality, the more accurate description of what this kid did was simply BREAK a clock--as all he really did was disassemble the sort of cheap retail alarm clock that can be bought off the shelf at any Wal Mart, and for some odd reason stuck the wiring in a briefcase so that it looked conspicuously like a bomb, and then falsely told people at school and police that he "built a clock", in other words, what now appears to have been a big ole LIE.

Now why he was not straight about what his contraption actually was, and why he stuck the wiring in a briefcase in a manner that looked alarmingly similar to an IED bomb, is debatable. Perhaps it was intended as a prank. Perhaps he didn't know better. Perhaps he somehow thought he actually had built something. BUT I might suggest the possibility that just mayyyyybbeeeee it may have had something to do with his notoriously attention whoring dad. And if you don't know anything about his dad, you might do some googling, turns out he's a piece of work....

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And again, none of that justifies how badly the situation was handled.

studthug12, dixiehack and JC like this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ok. Now justify what the cops did with the same conviction.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Go ahead, continue to throw around your conclusions and name-calling; doesn't change the facts; which is the most important thing.

I didn't say he invented a clock, he built one. The fact is he brought it to the engineering class (1st period) and the the teacher said it was not a problem just don't bring it to other classes. So, a faculty member knew about it, verified it, and did nothing. Where's that in your narrative?

I look at it like disassembling and reassembling my bike as a kid; he did it with a clock, that's the type of inquisitiveness that's lacking these days; something that should be celebrated, not denounced or ridiculed for.

See, hindsight is always 20-20; you know its not a bomb, so you resort to "well he's got a crazy father, so it must have been intended for a prank." Well, our country is built on innocent until proven guilty. Where's the proof of his hoax? Pure speculation. Before I go there, I need something more.

Facts:

1. He brought a non traditional clock to school;
    2. 1st period teacher verified its a clock;
    3. Kid gets detained and handcuffed in front of his class;
    4. No threat or indication of threat was ever made.

School had multiple opportunities to avoid this; (1) call in the engineering teacher; (2) call someone/anyone to verify what it is; (3) don't handcuff him, he's not a physical threat.

School failed.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. Knowing what we know now they probably should have evacuated the school.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Knowing what we know now nobody thought it was a bomb.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Never "built" a damn thing. Merely disassembled a typical commercial retail alarm clock that had already been built--in other words, essentially BROKE a clock--then stuck the wiring in casing that made it look suspiciously similar to a homemade bomb, and then falsely claimed he built a clock.

I mean, seriously, is this all it takes to claim to be a builder nowadays? Perhaps I'll smash my TV, glue the tubing to my head, and then brag about how I've built a brain-controlled television device.

1. False. He brought a former alarm clock that had been disassembled and then reassembled in a manner that made it appear suspiciously similar to a bomb to school.
    2. Teacher also (rightfully) told him to put the damn thing away because it looked an awful lot like a friggin bomb.
    3. Handcuffing the kid was indeed really damn stupid--but that's on the police--NOT the school.
    4. Bringing to school something that seems purposely designed to look like an IED is, in itself, sufficient indication of possible threat to justify the school's actions here.

No. Police failed. School acted appropriately. Dad laughs at how he's played us all.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Dad didn't play me ... But that's because I'm an Asian-American and I was too hard at work to get played.

Draft saved Draft deleted