1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Issues/requests for new SJ.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Aug 19, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the thing can be lifted for 24 hours on April 1.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can you have all the women of SportsJournalists.com send me presents and pictures of themselves in provocative clothing?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Damn, I meant to make that sound a little meaner. Something like you don't have any PMs because no one wants to send you one. ;)

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Two requests, an observation, and a pizza place:

Request One: Be able to pick up threads where you left them. On the Delphi Forums system, you enter your board of choice and it'll show you the threads that have been updated from your last visit, and when you pick one, it takes you to the first post after you saw it last. So if the baseball thread shoots up from 34 posts to 80, you don't have to root around for post No. 35. (you can also address posts to someone so that when they log on, they're told which ones have threads that have responses specifically to them. a nice touch).

Request 2: A Java chatroom on site. Would probably purge a lot of the extraneous posts because the posters would be chatting instead of posting three-word replies (post-padders wouldn't be affected, because post padding is what they do).

Observation: I think the letting seems a lot looser on the body copy.

Pizza place: Sorry, it'd exceed the character limit.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If I understand you correctly, you have been able to do that for a while already. Just click the "New" button next to the topic and it takes you to the last post you viewed.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Holy crap! I never knew that!!!

I just thought it signaled there had been posts made. That's magic!!!

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You've been able to do that for a couple years now.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh great. Then I finally have to pick between farmerj and farmerjerome. Decisions!

Seriously, if you could add the different boards to the rollover menu on so we don't have to go to the home page every time we wanted to switch, that would be great.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The "Jump To" dropdown menu is at the bottom of every page and every thread. You can use that to bounce from the Jobs board to the Anything Goes board to the J-Only board very easily. There are lots of days when I never even see the front page because I use that dropdown navigator thingy.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Don't feel bad, I never knew that either. I'll be damned.

Two really minor questions that may not be changeable but worth asking anyway:
    Firstly, on the old system in the main forum screen, you'd see like the jobs board link, and it told you the last updated thread and who updated it (Podunk Gazette by Hustle at 4:59:07 PM). Now, that info is reversed:
    Last post by HeinekenMan
    in Re: Ethics Question
    on Today at 04:34:19 PM

Any chance we can go back to the old way on that?

Secondly, is there any way to make the reply area bigger - like the thing I'm typing in now to make this post. It feels awfully tiny.

Minor stuff, but worth asking, I guess.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The Quick Reply area is small, but the regular reply area is the same size.

Maybe there could be a way that when you hit the "quote" button it takes you to the regular reply area instead of the Quick Reply

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think a little instant messaging section on the top of the page would be nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted