1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Issues/requests for new SJ.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Aug 19, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know if you really want us to have the answer to that, Dye. :)

And I don't mean to not thank you guys. I think it looks awesome. I'm just worried about my anonymity. Because the background on my computer being Brook Jacoby doesn't do that on its own. :)

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Dear DyePack,

[​IMG]

Next question.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Can you rig it so if someone uses the word "gots" in their post, then that post is automatically deleted?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does it bother anyone that someone can change handles, but leave no trace that they are someone else?

I know Douglas addressed this previously, but the old software allowed to change names, but the original name stayed on the profile. The new system seems to allow a lot of room for trouble....I like knowing who I'm talking to before I respond to a post or PM.

5. Lucas Wiseman

The only solution for this is for me to turn off the ability for users to change their display names, which I think might be a good idea.

6. Lucas Wiseman

I still receive PM notifications. Is it possible that given our recent spam attack that your e-mail provider now thinks webmaster@sportsjournalists.com is spamming you? Check your spam folder.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tremendous idea.

Also...did I miss this, or can you tell us any of the changes we might not see? ie, what are the changes affecting new accounts--how long until a new member can post or PM, are your controls the same as before, etc...?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But then we lose our April Fool's Day fun!

9. Lucas Wiseman

There are a few things. Before a user can send a PM, they must have one post on the forums. Also, you can only send a PM to five people at a time.

When users register, they are prompted to enter five or six letters they see in an image, which should help prevent spam bots from being able to register.

There are numerous other little things, too, but most of them insignificant to you guys.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Besides, on my one-year anniversary (April 25), I'm going to change my name to Perennially Overrated.

EDIT: Saw that right after I posted. Thanks, Webby. I have a big decision to make.

11. Lucas Wiseman

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30964/

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe you just haven't got a PM that's why you don't see new PMs. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted