1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel v. Gaza, again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/world/middleeast/by-phone-and-leaflet-israeli-attackers-warn-gazans.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/world/middleeast/in-israeli-palestinian-conflict-mothers-cope-with-loss-of-sons.html

Cycle of violence.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Jesus. What the fuck is wrong with you?

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

What's wrong with you if you think gradual killing over years and decades and even centuries is OK? I guess genocide is OK as long as its in moderation.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm in no way advocating the "obliteration" of Gaza. That's crazy talk.

But, I do often wonder about how we ended WWII with Japan. Dropping atomic bombs saved lives for both the Japanese and the U.S.

But, I don't think a nation/leader would be able to make the same decision, if faced with similar circumstances, in today's society.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Aside from the reprehensibility of your comments on a simple human level, you are a blithering moron if you think "obliterating Gaza" and "erasing it from the planet" would solve Israel's problems or result in anything other than far greater levels of long term Mideast violence.

Indeed, doing so would likely be akin to Israel signing its own death warrant.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As far as the cycle of violence goes, I'm pretty sure Israel wouldn't be responding if Hamas didn't shell them.
    Israel has made one land concession after another and their reward is Hamas have the land to move rockets closer to Israel. When the U.N. admitted Israel in 1948, the country offered full citizenship and rights to Palestinians. Israel, by and large, has tried for 66 years to find some kind of peaceful solution. The fact remains is that the rest of that region will never accept a Jewish state. But Israel has shown it will accept a Palestinian state and has given its own land to prove it.
    This is not 50-50 when it comes to assessing blame.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would be a distraction from Benghazi.

8. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

And you think the Muslim world is going to sit around and play nice forever while hurling an occasional mudball. That's equally idiotic.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The fact is that the powers that be on both sides have zero interest in any peace that would require recognizing the legitimacy of the other side's rights and aspirations. Even leaving out terrorism, witness Israel's relentless settlement project and Palestine's rejection of any two-state solution that would allow one state to be Jewish. There will be no peace in the foreseeable future because the parties involved don't want it. Each side just wants to win - Israel through superior firepower, Palestine through time and demographic changes.

EDIT: I should add that Palestine is certainly not the only side rejecting a two-state solution. Currently, it's pretty obvious that Israel is pretty satisfied with what amounts to an apartheid situation. They seem bound and determined to annex all lands in the West Bank, and the only reason they haven't expelled the Palestinians from there is because at this point, it would cause more trouble than it's worth.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, I don't. I don't know what the "the Muslim world" is ultimately going to do. Neither do you.

But I do know that the idea of "obliterating Gaza" as a solution is mindnumbingly dumb and would likely serve as an act of virtual state suicide. That ain't gonna prevent "the Muslim world" from doing whatever it is you fear, instead it would only immensely intensify the desire and any plans to attack Israel. It would transform Israel into the world's foremost outlaw pariah nation, meaning far greater worldwide understanding and support for those who wish the Israeli state to disappear. and with Israel's current allies running for the hills. The demand for an immediate and all out retaliation against Israel would be overwhelming, and rightfully so under international law.

Your thinking is first grader-ish simplistic and buffoonish.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Nothing of what I said implied genocide was OK, you halfwit.

You know what we should do? To prevent the continued spread of AIDS, we should just kill everyone who has the disease.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Ted Koppel ruminating about the "Arab Street" and their reaction to possible military action against Iraq in G.H.W.B v Saddam. Then I seem to remember that "Arab Street" celebrating on 9-11 and 9-12.

No, I am not in favor of Israel obliterating Gaza or the West Bank. And Egypt clearly doesn't want the Gaza and its residents and Jordan clearly doesn't want the West Bank and its residents. And Iran, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, the various gulf states and the other muslin countries idea of helping their brothers and sisters in the occupied territories is to provide weapons to fight long enough to lose the battle but prolong the war. No more killing, but fuck the Muslim World with a bacon coated pitch fork

Draft saved Draft deleted