1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel Threatened By Iranian Nukes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Iran's version of Islam is an apocalyptic death cult.

They believe that Armageddon will bring the return of the 12 Imam, and the current Supreme Leader of Iran believes he will personally facilitate the return of the Mahdi.

They don't fear a World War III and the destruction it would bring the way we do.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this thought because I don't know a lot about nuclear production.
    Do you have any idea how easy it is to cover up the tracks of nuclear weapon production? Honest question. My guess is "not very easy." But that's just a guess.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's funny to read when people write, to the effect, but it's the best deal! Dealing for the sake of dealing is stupid but that's a debate that would spin us all in circles.

The reality is Israel would fuck the shit out of Iran long before Iran thought about melting Israel.

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It's not. We got early wind of Soviet nuclear power via particles in the air, not via inspection

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

This is true.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In a country that's more than twice the size of Texas? Given weeks to cover your tracks? Child's play.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. Awfully big difference between hiding an above-ground detonation and hiding the development/production of a weapon.

8. amraeder

Do you think so? I mean, plutonium/uranium have very long halflifes. Is it possible to completely scrub a place of their traces in a matter of weeks? I don't know. But I'm imagining a situation of going into a place and saying, yeah, there's no nuclear bomb here, but this random cave has a hell of a lot of traces of fissile uranium. Busted.
    Again, I don't know a lot about nuclear production, but it seems possible.

(There's also the question of how long it takes to set up and tear down a site. I don't know, but it's also germane to the discussion.)

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I recognize what you are saying about the sanctions. I'm just saying there is no good outcome here for Israel. And, there are only good outcomes for Iran. Its situation gets better, no matter what, without the sanctions. Even if there are supposed containments on nuclear power.

10. amraeder

And I'm not asking to be a dick. There seem like vital questions to see if the time frame proposed in the deal is awful or great.
    The closest I could come to finding an answer in like an hour of googling is that, apparently it's still possible to detect fissile material at sites that used to produce it but have since been converted to producing non-weapons (low-enriched) uranium - to the point that the IAEA needed to develop a method between distinguishing between historic production and current production. That doesn't answer my question entirely - maybe this is only in sites that didn't make an effort to clean, I don't know.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course they do. When was the last time they sent troops to any other nation? When was the last time they went out of their way to engage any kind of Armageddonesque conflict? Yes, they fund bad guys to do dirty work outside their borders. But guess what? So have we.

Hell, we Americans (supposedly) believe we're all going to Heaven and it'll be paradise and yada yada yada, so what are we really afraid of if WWIII happens?

Dying, that's what. It's human nature. To the humans in America, and yes, to the humans in Iran.

Sure, a few people can be brainwashed into becoming martyrs. But then, someone who shoots up a Colorado movie theater also has to know that he's going to leave that theater in a body bag, too. Yet he still does it.

Why do the bin Ladens of the world go to such lengths to keep themselves hidden and out of harm's way? Because they don't want to die. And neither to Iran's leaders.

Iron_chet and Stoney like this.
  12. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Beat us. Charge us with war crimes. We ended World War II.

Draft saved Draft deleted