1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel Threatened By Iranian Nukes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 2, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wonder why?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Gee, then I guess it's a good thing we convinced Iran to come to terms REDUCING their future capacity to annihilate.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Fuck it then. Let's invade Iran and start World War III.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Im no fan of Netanyahu. But I'm interested in the Herzog comments posted earlier.

The problem for Israel is that it sees the money Iran gains from the sanctions being lifted going to its proxies in the Middle East, such as Hezbollah. There's really no good outcome here for the Israelis. Iran is the biggest destabilizing force in the region.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I understand that Israel is justifiably worried what the Iranians will spend their new found wealth on. But it seems to me that those problems can be largely, for lack of a better word, contained. But if this deal does not go through and the Iranians acquire nuclear weapons and then decide to use them then the the population of Israel will be essentially wiped out. So what is the greater risk?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

But as I keep saying - and nobody except Stoney seems to grasp - without the deal, most of the nations making up the sanctions regime are going to bail, and Iran will gain the same money to funnel to its proxies, but without a framework in place to limit its nuclear efforts and reinstitute the sanctions in the event of violations. You're right - there's no really good outcome. But this still seems to me like the best of a bunch of crappy options.

9. doctorquant

I'm sorry, but framework or no, as a practical matter the deal provides for no substantive checks. Iran gets all the time it needs to cover up any tracks, and that's if the framework is actually adhered to!

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll wait for you to explain to us how well sanctions are going to work in perpetuity without any international support.

11. doctorquant

They can't work any worse than that inspection/framework that's been agreed to.

If you wanna say that nothing can be done to limit Iran's nuclear ambitions, have at it. But don't sit there and pretend that Israel's dismay over this "deal" is misplaced.

12. YankeeFan

Whatever you want to say about the Iran deal, the evidence that Wright was a big influence on Obama comes from Obama.

So, either he was a big influence on him, or Obama exaggerated his influence, in order to bolster his Christian credentials.

Draft saved Draft deleted