1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel Threatened By Iranian Nukes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 2, 2015.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Because not every Jewish person believes that in order to support Israel you need to walk in lockstep with Netanyahu -- or that the president should be president of Israel instead of president of the United States. Supporting Israel doesn't mean enabling the worst instincts of its right-wingers. Obama may have a terrible relationship with Netanyahu -- a lot of which you can put on Netanyahu himself -- but in terms of security cooperation, anyone who looks beyond the slogans and memes of the AIPAC crowd and looks at the whole picture will see that the Obama administration has been very supportive of Israel (ie. Iron Dome).

I say that as someone who's lived in Israel, is deeply Zionistic, has spent time with the Israeli military and absolutely cannot stand Netanyahu and the fanatics he's catering to. I don't love the Iran deal personally, but I'm not sure a better deal was achievable. If it was, it would have been reached. Without a deal, EU nations, Russia, India and China would abandon the current sanctions regime anyway. Opponents' call for "stronger sanctions" in lieu of this deal rings hollow when the lack of a deal will actually eliminate sanctions on its own -- but without any inspection regime in place and a mechanism to restore the sanctions in the event of a violation.

But thanks for lecturing Jews on what they should support.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FYI, I'm Jewish, too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What political party, or leader, in Israel supports the Iran deal?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was clear from the beginning of his Obama's first campaign that his support of Israel -- not Netanyahu, but the nation itself -- was practically nonexistent (remember Jeremiah Wright?). Also, the part in bold assumes the best deal possible was made. Why do you assume that's true?

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

So you've got some unhinged remarks from Jeremiah Wright to support your assertion that no Jew should support Obama. Awesome!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good post. It's time for grown ups to begin realizing this.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Israel needs to be reminded who is the "big brother" in its relationship with the U.S.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I could use the many examples since he's become president, such as saying Israeli negotiations with the Palestinians should start from the pre-1967 borders, not to mention Iran deal, which has succeeded in doing the impossible -- uniting Israel's far left and far right factions (hint: they're not both in favor of it).

But I figured I'd start from the first clue: Wright.

That was an issue for me not because Obama simply attended his church -- though if my religious leader was spewing some of the crap Wright said, wrote and published in the church newsletter (including pieces written by Hamas), I'd probably find another place to worship -- but because Wright was more than just Obama's pastor. He was a friend, confidant, advisor, sounding board, mentor, etc., for 20 years. And that isn't some Republican saying that -- that came from Obama, before he started running for president and even after. Wright was part of Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee early in Obama's presidential campaign until he was tossed after the controversy hit. In January 2007, a story in the Chicago Tribune reported, "Though Wright and Obama do not often talk one-on-one often (sic), the senator does check with his pastor before making any bold political moves." That same story added, "Obama says that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated."

Obviously, Obama's record is a much bigger issue at this point, but if Wright is the guy who for years calibrated Obama's moral compass, that was a big red flag.

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Your premise that Israelis are unanimously opposed to the deal is just not true. Many Israelis -- including high-ranking security personnel -- support it (not enthusiastically, but they're realistic about it being better than no deal and perhaps the best deal available):

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/in-israel-some-support-the-iran-deal/

But keep up with the hyperbole and the red herrings (Jeremiah Wright? Seriously? When's the last time OBAMA even hung out with Jeremiah Wright?)

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

More here:

Opinion: The pro-Israel position is supporting the Iran nuclear deal - The Washington Post

We can agree to disagree about whether the deal should be made. But who the fuck are you to say suggest that no Jews have any business supporting Obama? He's a hell of a lot more pro-Israel through his actual deeds -- Iran deal aside -- than St. Reagan (condemned the 1981 attack on Osirak, which wiped out budding Iraqi nuclear capabilities) or Bush I for example (the whole shitstorm about the US refusing to sign loan guarantees so Israel could absorb Jewish refugees from Ethiopia and the former Soviet Union -- and James Baker saying "Fuck the Jews, they don't vote for us anyway."). But keep bringing those Jeremiah Wright references. It's adorable.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/07/israel-isaac-herzog-iran-nuclear-deal/398705/

As for Wright, I don't care when the last time Obama "hung out" with Wright was. I'm saying that was the first glaring sign he wasn't going to be enthusiastic about supporting Israel (to say the least).

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That isn't what I said. I said I can't understand why they would.

And I didn't say a word about anyone else. Did those others you brought up have strong Jewish support?

And keep up your screeching outrage. It's adorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted