1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel Should Be in Germany

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 23, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Helen Thomas was just ahead of her time.

Incredibly, Gawker posted this today:

[​IMG]

Israel and Palestine are warring again. Civilians are dying again. Families are losing their homes, and chaos persists. Again. This would not be happening if Israel were located somewhere that makes more sense: in Germany.

No matter where you stand in the "Israelis vs. Palestinians" political arguments—in which both sides are hopelessly entrenched and unmoving—it seems fair to acknowledge that there are some fundamental problems with the location of the nation of Israel. For one thing, it was carved out of land already occupied by someone else. Whether or not you think Israel was justified in carving itself a nation out of Palestine, you must admit that the act of doing so was bound to cause some resentment. And, indeed, it did. It caused a lot of resentment, and anger. Emotions that still exist today. And which have fueled a more or less constant state of war against Israel since Israel was created.

http://gawker.com/israel-should-be-in-germany-1609576782

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"The Middle East was good in the beginning,
    but then it went too far." -- Marge Schott.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So in order to correct the carving out of someone else's land ... we'll carve out someone else's land again.

Makes perfect sense.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They could just put the Wailing Wall and the Temple Mount on the Dead Sea and float it all up there.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Same as the USA, Canada, Mexico, etc. etc.

The lesson? Make sure your land grabs take place out of living memory.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does Gawker have editors or any read the posts before they go up?

That piece shouldn't have seen the light of day. So dumb. So incredibly dumb.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think Israel should move to within the USA. We've built Hollywood, Disneyland and Disney World, surely we can build a full size replica of Israel within Arizona or Utah and create peace on earth. ???

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I liked the first comment: "This is one of the finest middle school essays I've ever read."

Exactly. This is the type of simplistic piece I probably would've thought sounded quite brilliant when I was 14 years old, but know is batshit stupid now that I'm a grown up.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just move Israel to Manhattan and move Manhattan to Staten Island and then put the current Staten Islanders in NJ. :)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eh, if changing history worked for the Winnipeg Jets and the Cleveland Browns ...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The congressional candidate's idea
    From April: "Israel in Texas, y'all!"

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3761566/

Draft saved Draft deleted