1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel launches attacks into Gaza; several hundred killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Dec 27, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Israel launches attacks into Gaza; at least 100 dead

You really think Israel is worried about blame? The big brother analogy somebody used above does kind of fit, sadly enough. The little brother keeps throwing punches that do only limited damage until big brother finally has enough and lands a haymaker.

2. Re: Israel launches attacks into Gaza; at least 100 dead

And nothing ever, ever gets solved.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I try never to be the fatalist defeatist. But nothing's going to change there, ever. They're fighting for a piece of land they both think belong to them. Under the guise of "God said it's OUR land!"

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Israel and Palestine have fought over the same bit of land since the beginning of time. What it is going to take to bring both groups to the table to come to some sort of peaceable accord?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Moses and Muhammed sitting down.

6. Re: Israel launches attacks into Gaza; at least 100 dead

FIXED

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know its sacrilege, but I sometimes wonder what would happen if there was a toxic waste spill, maybe a nuclear waste spill in that part of the world. Like two kids fighting over one cookie, take it out of the equation.
    It's a dangerous paradigm, people dying providing "equity" into a conflict. The more people die, the more a country is invested in a conflict. I've actually heard some people say that our soldiers sacrifices are "the cost" of freedom. I call bullshit. You can't create value out of a pointless war (I'm speaking generically here - clearly some wars are more necessary than others), but stacking bodies and using them for justification of the conflict is just plain wrong.
    All countries, whether in the Middle East, the Western Hemisphere or South Asia need to take a look at themselves and ask themselves if they really want another 20 years of armed hostility. It's probably the most tragic heritage one generation can pass down to the next generation.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dan, they don't care about that philosophy. They want their land, everything else bedamned.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess you've got to have someplace to bury the bodies.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Israel launches attacks into Gaza; at least 205 dead

As long as the odds are in your favor, isn't that the way war is supposed to be waged? Kill your enemy while staying alive.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think another goal of war tactics is to end the conflict in a way that is favorable to you, which is an argument against the tactic.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just don't see what Israel has done for themselves, here.

I think Israel has a right to defend itself. I think they avail themselves of that right. I think they are, in the grand scheme, much more ethical about their approach than the other side. But this doesn't help that case.

I know that Hamas is launching rockets. I know they live in daily fear of suicide bombers and random rockets. I know all this. I do.

I just don't think this does one thing to help the Israeli people

At least 200 people are dead in one of the poorest slums on Earth, a slum that Israel has, for all intents and purposes, made their own. No Israeli is any safer. No Palestinian is any better off.

It seems so fucking senseless.

Draft saved Draft deleted