1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel has a "right to defend itself" but...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Billy Monday, Jul 22, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. Douchebag.

1) I don't think most athletes use performance-enhancing drugs. It's the same line of bullshit you've been attributing to me on thread after thread (usually unrelated) when you stalk me all over the board. Just because you say it and call me a dumb name and think it makes you witty doesn't mean it has any basis in fact. I never said anything of the sort. It's you speaking for me, assbag.

2) No clue what are you talking about. I am fairly consistent in my beliefs and have certainly never backed down from them on this board. Judging by people who have communicated with me, my best guess is that people find my posts significantly more intelligent than your's. But that's not fact and would be a matter of opinion that would need to be put before the board as a whole.

3) I'm pretty secure in my sexuality. As are the people I am intimate with. But there is the vitriol I spoke of. You act like an asshole over and over again. I actually responded in a measured and reasoned way. And the best you could do when you were obviously frustrated was to make a joke about "my confusion about my sexual identity."

4) Not even sure how to respond. YOU calling someone passive-aggressive? I can back up what douche you are. Hell, you just put a rolling "look at me banner" across the bottom of your post with a witless attempt at insulting me based on my screen name. I am not passive anything. I came out and told you you are acting like an asshole and in a reasoned way suggested you might want to take a good look at yourself.

And on that, I am done responding. Because I know the type. You are aiming for attention and I am giving it to you. I really do pity you, which is why I made the effort, but I feel bad that I allowed myself to feed your need for negative attention. I guess I wish you'd just take it somewhere else, but I guess you found a place where you can be an asshole, get attention from it, and bask in it for whatever pathological reason you have for needing that.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

But it's a lot less painful than calling him "president."

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wow. I'm impressed. Didn't think you'd answer those.

But I'm calling B.S. on No. 3. People who are secure don't have to tack on what you did.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think it's time to lock this one up, Gut-Man.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ahem...

DTGDTN!!!

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You also can buy a Kevlar vest for $390.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From the "Things I'd never learn without SportsJournalists.com" file: Israel's version of the SEALs wear Teva-like sandals...

http://www.israelmilitary.com/product_info.php?cPath=6311&products_id=1322&osCsid=59e8e2141d4e4336977e0fe5e4a0b121

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This link offered as a thread flame-retardant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/24/opinion/24gilbert.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087%0A&en=28cbeae781bd19fa&ex=1153886400

(A-partisan or non-partisan, scientific look at revenge)

Israel has a right to defend itself, but...

The current situation deeply saddens me for several reasons. First, I think this is a classic, paradigmatic instance of a necessary evil. It is evil ---- ALWAYS evil ---- to kill children. And children are being killed. If a Katyusha rocket kills a three-year-old Jew in Haifa, it does not justify or even RELATE to an Israeli shell killing a two-year-old Muslim in Beirut. There is simply no relation, moral, strategic or rational. But it is necessary for Israel to respond in the fashion they have responded. They have little hope of flushing out Hezbollah with propaganda, etc. They cannot surgically kill Hezbollah fighters with no collateral damage. They cannot negotiate --- both for reasons of moral principle and because to do so would basically say, 'please, continue to kidnap our soldiers, it works'. I feel that within the margin of natural military error, Israel is acting with proportion. Nuking Beirut would be disproportionate. It would accomplish (at least, immediately) the end of crushing Hezbollah. It would be sufficient, but unnecessary.

Another reason this whole situation is sad is because I see, in the end, Israel becoming the pawn of larger hegemonic purposes (i.e. the United States, itching for a fight with Iran). In the end, an entire generation of Westerners will scapegoat Israel for STARTING World War III.

This is the one issue where I stand with conservatives. The rest of the time, I'm left of Fenian.

Draft saved Draft deleted