1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel and Leba-nin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In this day and age, isn't there a Web site we can watch the destruction live?

2. Boy, would I like to know CNN and Fox's sources on THAT one.
    I'm getting Chalabi flashbacks here.

3. Songbird

Paula Hancocks, and in general, international television news reporters, can really shed light on a moment in time.

In her report on CNN just now, the verbage she used drove home the point of this latest insanity in the Middle East: "... more than 50 Lebanese have lost their lives."

The fact she didn't say "more than 50 Lebanese died" resonated in my head and danced around. It's so easy to use the word die, but we're desensitized to it. You lose the remote control. You lose loose change from your pockets into the couch cushions. You lose touch with friends, if only temporarily.

But once you lose your life, you're fucked. I don't know why, but that phrase "lost their lives" is so much more powerful than died.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

and unfortunately, many more will.

5. Songbird

Covered a Little League game last night. This is how the scoreboard looked after the tie. I think the Middle East Lebanese people were channeling the 6-6-6 reference  ;D

[​IMG]

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm no Middle East expert, but watching TV this morning, this is getting pretty hairy (no swarthy pun intended)

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Here is the one problem with your argument, and it's purely from a logistical standpoint.

Who among the U.S. would get involved if this nation's role "would and should change?" Seriously. We just do not have enough troops in uniform to support a war in Iraq, a semi-war in Afghanistan, defense presence around the globe and a backup or support role in Israel. We just don't have the people.

So who would go? You? Me? My son?

8. Allies like GB and Australia?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Doesn't do a lot of good if they're one or two of the few people supporting these efforts.

And Bostock, let's focus, shall we? The bigger issue is what will be the U.S. role in this thing? Seriously.

Keep the rhetoric out of it, please.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to think that Israel can keep handling this on their own. They seem to know how to win when it counts. If the US gets involved, well, it could be the start of an entire regional war with Lebanon, Syria, Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan all in play. I can't imagine the Saudis and Jordanians getting involved against us, and they surely won't side with us against other Arab nations. I just don't see the US allowing it to escalate that far though.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"I'm a war president."

Allow it to escalate? I just hope the Bush Crime Family keeps its hands off the fast-forward button.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but realistically what do you go in there with? And does the US realllllly want to inflame middle eastern resentment anymore? If you notice lately, and you can give whatever reason you want to why this is, but we've been using a more diplomatic approach lately. People will argue over as to why that is, but the bottom line is that is how it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted