1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel and Leba-nin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 12, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No problem. And I'm sorry I was pissy earlier. I though you were trolling a little bit...

And, if I can be permitted a political jab, it never ceases to amaze me when we think we can go into a nation like Lebanon or Iraq and impose or support a government just like our own.

I like the ideal of our government, but our reality ain't the only one.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This stuff makes no sense, unless I'm insensible: I just read in Newsweek that Lebanese officials arrested potential plotters to terrorize New York, and yet Lebanon is sending missiles into Israel. Whaaaat?

Leba-nin is going to be smelling its own cornhole very, very soon.

3. Political realities, X.
    This government exists at the sufferance of Hezbollah and,at the same time, it has a vested interest in staying on our good side and in rounding up random fundamentalist terrorist cells. You wonder, now,how long the government can survive walking that line.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting dilemma for Israel: either take the high road and prove to the world that it's not always going to be a knee-jerk state ... or, just bomb the mother fucking crapola out of Lebanon. I really did like that line yesterday by an Israeli official about sending them 20 years into the past, or something like that.

If Israel does decide to retaliate, it'll get ugly for all sides. But it still baffles my mind. Is it that hard to just live a life there?

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

yes it is. You have people (hamas and hezbollah) who are taught to hate Israel and vow for its destruction. Those are the people in charge. they shoot rockets into israel, send in suicide bombers and kidnap citizens...then Israel retaltiates and the terrorists play this victim angle. fuck that. israel has a right to defend itself, and that is what they are doing. it's the only way they can.

6. Every reaction to every provocation is a state-breaker, though?
    That can't lead to a good end, unless you envision Israel's boundaries extending from Haifa to the Caucuses.
    What if the US had retaliated for the attack on the USS Liberty the same way?

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

FYI the Wa. Post has great reporting on this situation today.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

the us attacked afghanistan after 9-11, and susequently Iraq. these terrorists that run these countries like puppets for their cause attack israel, and they retaliate. where is that different?

do you fear going on a bus every day to do that it may be blown up by a suicide bomber. or if your kid is late coming home one night, he may have been abducted by terrorists? You probably don't. that is how they live there. everything is heightened, and until moderates of those countries decide they don't want terrorists to fuck their lives over, this situation will repeat itself over and over again.

israel is defending itself the only way it can. if they don't retaliate, it becomes open season. they are surrounded by people who don't like them. they have to act as they are.

9. Terrorists didn't run Iraq. A boxed-in madman did.
    Fine. So every attack is met with massive military retaliation aimed at bringing down governments. If a general war breaks out, what's the US role?

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

palenstinians were on the right track with a moderate who's goal was peace. Lebonon should grow some balls and tell syria and the terrorists to fuck off - but that won't happen.

as for the US role, support is all that is needed at the moment IMO. Israel has enough weapons and personnel to take care of itself. but if it continues to worsen, as its biggest ally the US's role probably would and shouldchange.

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

Both CNN and Fox are reporting that the missile that hit Haifa was fired by Iranian Guard.

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

wouldn't surprise me at all. it'll be interesting to see how the UN plays this, with Iran not accepting their deal and at the same time saying Israel should be wiped off the earth.

Draft saved Draft deleted