1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel airstrike kills 34 children and 12 others

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm thinking more of a massive attack from every corner of the Arab world, led by Iran.

As soon as Iran has nuclear capability, all hell REALLY breaks lose, yes.

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

all the arab countries already tried that. Israel pushed them back in a week. if Iran steps into it, expect Europe to take their head out of their ass and wake up to what is going on in the region and back Israel. They may not like what israel is doing now, but if they realize it's all iran's doing - and they don't like Iran much either - then there will be more support for Israel, as well as the US probably kicking over some troops from Iraq.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

U.S. is really thin, and I don't know if Europe has the stones it did 50 years ago.

We shall see.

Christ, never have I so hoped I am 100 percent wrong.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Israel UN Amb. gave a great interview to the Stephanoupoli today; in it, he pointed out that Israel was sorry for the havoc it's causing but noted that 250 missiles a day are being sent into Israel cities haphazardly, thus proving that Hezzbollah is targeting Israeli citizens while Israel clearly targets only military locations, including, he noted, rocket launchers being set up in and around housing developments.

When asked if this would turn the Middle East's anger towards Israel, he correctly noted "I'm sure it will. But Arab children are given school books in which they are taught to hate Israel. When they are raised like that, there's little we can do to make people hate us even more."

Sounds like the Ambassador (and I wonder how many other Israeli leaders) have decided they have nothing more to lose among the "arab street."

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

good point.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In fact, the only point that matters.

Israel has really given negotiation a chance. They, as a nation, are on the verge of throwing up their hands at all negotiation.

Nice of Hizbollah to think of the Palestinians, eh? In fact, a case could be made that the worst enemy of Palestinian statehood has been the Arab nations surrounding Israel, rather than Israel itself.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No... no... no...

We had a thread on sportsjournalists.com, where many, many weighed in with the opinion that the hateful elements of Islam are a vast minority of the religion.

So, the diplomat must be wrong.

8. Mutah

Mutah Member

I'm not ready to say that Israel is the good guy, here. Sure, there are missiles being fired into Israel (I doubt, by the way, the PM's count). But as for the collateral damage north of the border being simple mistakes, I keep coming back to the train of three ambulances -- all white with big fucking red crosses on them -- that Israeli jets took out last week. That's not "oops." That's indiscriminate malice.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

so you saying hezbollah is the good guy? provoking action, hiding amongst the population and sending hundreds of rockets into civilian areas?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The muslims in Iraq are killing each other at a much greater rate.

11. Mutah

Mutah Member

No, but this thing didn't start just a few weeks ago. There's a long history here and Israel hasn't always been the guy in the white hat. Is Hezbollah the good guy? No. I'm beginning to think we have two rat-bastards in this fight. In this latest tiff, you telling me that Israel, with its much-ballyhooed military, couldn't have done a cleaner job of going in and finding their two guys? Or, done SOMETHING with the new, somewhat sympathetic Lebanese regime? Instead, they've gone mouse hunting with a shotgun, and emasculated the Lebanese government, which was the most West-friendly since the 1950's.

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I know that it has been around longer than a few weeks. Tell me what you would have done in Israel's place, since you seem to have answers...how would you deal with an organization that is part of the "west-friendly" government that has its own militia, gets arms from two nations that would like nothing more than for israel to be gone, have a dynamic tunnel system in which to move around, and hide among the innocent people. Hezbollah are not a bunch of amateurs.

please, enlighten me.

Draft saved Draft deleted