1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't this what got Jimmy the Greek fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Jul 5, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Jamaican sprint dominance is a pretty recent phenomenon. In fact, off the top of my head, I believe Jamaica's emergence as a world sprint power can be traced to Glen Mills' emergence as Jamaica's national team coach in the '90s. Mills also worked with a number of other top Caribbean sprinters, like Kim Collins.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and as D_B noted, there is always the possibility Glen Mills' pharmacists have something to do with it.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not accurate. Jamaica challenging, and now surpassing, the United States as the world's preeminent sprint power IS a recent phenomenon beginning sometime in the 90s. However, Jamaica producing world class sprinters at a rate that utterly defies what it should be capable of with its population base goes back far longer than that. They have admittedly kicked it into overdrive in a manner that has raised the world's eyebrows in recent years, but the story began far earlier.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sure, training and coaching are factors in the development of certain nations' track programs.

But, c'mon people, black people run faster than white people. You don't need a government funded study to figure that out, do you? Any middle school kid can tell you that much!

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not even the goddamn issue, Mark. Indeed, a "black/white" distinction is not even what the original story, nor any of the ensuing discussion, was about. Just go away.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Go blow yourself.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, y'all can't be doin' this. This is no Penn State thread.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tho I'd be impressed if Stoney were able to say, "Challenge accepted!"

9. jr/shotglass

TTIUWP.

(That's what she said.)

10. dooley_womack1

You sick fuck!

11. jr/shotglass

He who had the first mental picture created the dialogue. :)

12. dooley_womack1

My mental picture was an abstract one of Stoney with the words "Challenge accepted!" writ large next to him. I had no actual picture of the Stoney end.

Draft saved Draft deleted